New angels - dying

mtooke

I bought 8 nickel to quarter sized silver angels about ten days ago. They all seemed fine for the first few days, then I noticed one was off by himself almost all of the time. (day 5 maybe) then the next day, I saw that he was sort of gasping and still not hanging out with the rest very often. I think that he was eating, but the next day he was dead and I removed him. The next day, a second fish began behaving the same way and was dead the next day. 2 days go by and I notice a 3rd angel is behaving like the first 2 on their last days. He was definitely eating, but he did have a clear/white poop strand for about 2 days. Today I found him dead at the bottom of the tank. I think that another one has distanced himself and may be on his last day.

What can I do? is it a parasite? I tested the water, it's on the hard end of the spectrum, but everything else seems fine.

Please help.

*Video available upon request.

I'm sorry to hear that! I know you said you tested your water and everything seemed fine. I'm not sure which parameters you've tested, but environment problems (e.g. chlorine in the water, pH crash, ammonia spike, low oxygen) can often result in sudden deaths like you're seeing. Have you tried doing a water change and seeing if anything improves?

If you're pretty certain it's a disease and not the aquarium conditions, then here's an article I wrote on how to treat mystery diseases when you're not sure what is wrong: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/how-to-treat-sick-aquarium-fish

If those medications don't work, you can try treating with aquarium salt next: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

Hope that helps. It can be really hard to diagnose fish diseases, which is why I recommend taking a broad-spectrum shotgun approach.