Against all odds, I'm a first time fish father!

Ben C.

Long story short, I got a shipment of leopard danios a week and a half ago, and it was a bloodbath. 10 arrived, and only 4 remain, 1 girl and 3 boys. I'm planning on breeding them to replenish the herd, so I've been hatching BBS and feeding heavily, and I set up a separate tank with spawning mops and began an infusoria culture. Well, they beat me to it - and I spotted one little fry in the QT today. Question is, should I move it out? The breeding tank still has .25 ammonia in it to clear, although I put seeded media in there. The water is largely the same, but with all tanks, not EXACTLY the same. Will the lil one survive the move? Surely he will get eaten soon anyway. Thanks guys!

20210619_212324.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 10:30 PM, benchilton said:

Long story short, I got a shipment of leopard danios a week and a half ago, and it was a bloodbath. 10 arrived, and only 4 remain, 1 girl and 3 boys. I'm planning on breeding them to replenish the herd, so I've been hatching BBS and feeding heavily, and I set up a separate tank with spawning mops and began an infusoria culture. Well, they beat me to it - and I spotted one little fry in the QT today. Question is, should I move it out? The breeding tank still has .25 ammonia in it to clear, although I put seeded media in there. The water is largely the same, but with all tanks, not EXACTLY the same. Will the lil one survive the move? Surely he will get eaten soon anyway. Thanks guys!

20210619_212324.jpg

Congrats! I'll bet if you got a thick wad of java moss, and airstone, and bottled water from WalMart, you could stick this little one in a small container, and watch it grow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thats a good idea! Unfortunately I don't have any moss or spare air pumps... 😞 Would a mop and a quart cup work? Also, for moving it, should I suck it up with a pipette or just move the whole pvc it's on?

On 6/19/2021 at 10:47 PM, benchilton said:

Well, RIP little guy. Stepped away for a second to grab the box, became a snack. Ugh.

Well, the "^solved" was meant for the breeder box solve. Hopefully you'll get them going again. BBS is good stuff! 

• Like 1