Ug anoxic filter. Has anyone had success?

Greg808

Has anyone tried and had success with undergravel anoxic filter as described by Dr. Novak? He uses the ug filter but cuts down the lift tube to reduce flow. This low flow of water through the substrate consisting of layers of clay, iron, and gravel, is enough to deplete the o2 enough for anoxic conditions. The bacteria that thrive in anoxic conditions can successfully complete the nitrogen cycle and reduce nitrates and phosphorous.

I thing I want to give it a try. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this method of filtration and if it actually works? Any tips? Any thing I should avoid?

Thank you

I'm experimenting with undergravel filters and the one thing I do know, get you a good air stone, cuz I've tried so many and the ones that come with it are junk, but in personal experience so far, run two never clog air stones on fine bubbles with a 10 or 20gl air pump running each stone, mine is covered in aragonite with a 60 gallon air pump, "2 outlets spilt into 4" running 2 10gal under gravels. Pic of early setup, 1 air stone running off a single 10 gal air pump and stock air stone, worked okay, but never clogs running fine bubbles with alot of air works so much better, the flow starts resembling hang on The backs then

16241049333332494687161195909349.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve used ug filters many years ago but always with high flow.  I’m thinking now about doing the plenum with low flow as was recommended by Dr. Novak. Has it worked for you tonyjuliano?  I was also wondering if a small bcb could be made out of a filter bag? Or does it need to be a hard plastic mesh? I wonder if it could be placed in the tank instead of a sump or canister filter?