Filtration Recommendations For 180 Goldfish Tank

PhilipM

Hey everyone - new to the forum. I’ve been a fan of Cory and Aquarium Co-Op for just about 2 years now. I currently have a 93 cube tank with a sump for my goldfish, but I plan to move them to a 180.

I love the idea of simplicity that Cory discusses with HOBs and sponge filters. What are your thoughts for the 180? I’ll start with 8 fist-sized goldfish and probably go to 12-15. 

Can I pull of an aquaclear 110 with 2 sponge filters? 

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks! 

45DAC4BC-296D-492B-8934-A485FFEC4EC9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I bet everyone will agree that it could work. I have seven comets/commons in a 100 patio pond with a small box filter and don’t have problems but I have floaters, potted plants and every inch is covered in biofilm. A sparkling clean, unplanted indoor display tank will have less capacity to develop beneficial bacteria. 
If your new tank is drilled for a sump you could start out with the sponges and HOBs, and if it’s not working you could add the sump later or go with a big canister or two. 

Your cube is absolutely beautiful! I’m jealous! 

Edited by Patrick_G

10 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

I bet everyone will agree that it could work. I have seven comets/commons in a 100 patio pond with a small box filter and don’t have problems but I have floaters, potted plants and every inch is covered in biofilm. A sparkling clean, unplanted indoor display tank will have less capacity to develop beneficial bacteria. 
If your new tank is drilled for a sump you could start out with the sponges and HOBs, and if it’s not working you could add the sump later or go with a big canister or two. 

Your cube is absolutely beautiful! I’m jealous! 

Thanks! I’ll likely just stick with the hanging pothos and add some anubias. The tank I’m looking at is not drilled...and I don’t plan on adding a sump to this one.

Thank you for the compliment on the cube! I really do like the tank, but I want more fish, and I’d like to have something with more horizontal swim/viewing space.

If you’re in the Chicago area, I’ll be selling the cube soon 😜