Splitting and relocating red tiger lotus question

I have a well established red tiger lotus in one of my aquariums. It's a few years old now and seems to have actually propagated itself into 5 plants clustered together by the looks of it.

If I wanted to remove and relocate one of the bulbs is it as easy as just pulling it out of the substrate? Or is there anything specific that i should know so I can successfully move one of these in a new aquarium?

Any tips would be appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Nirvanaquatics said:

Tiger lotus has a kind of crazy root system, if you try to pull one up, it may take half your substrate with it, and probably other nearby plants. 

Sounds like when I removed a large sword a year ago.  🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tolstoy21 said:

Sounds like when I removed a large sword a year ago.  🙂

It might be worse 😂 I have my tiger lotus in a pot to keep the roots contained because the last time I had to move it, I discovered it had wrapped its way around half the plants in my tank. I probably would have been impressed had it not been so messy. 

• 2 years later...

Super messy to move.

I had to move my two tanks.

I hope the plant will be ok as it seems to have separated from the bulb.

I shoved as much of the root system under the sand as I could

IMO its almost easier just to buy a new bulb and call it a day! As mentioned above if its well established the roort system is most likely wrapped around everything and there is a high likelihood you'll be uprooting the majority of your aquarium.

I created this problem a few days ago. My new bulb was doing well, but as the plant grew it was being battered by the flow from the HOB, so I decided to relocate it.  Now I have a plant with very few roots, and a bulb the size of a dried pea floating around.  There aren't enough roots to hold it down without burying the tiny bulb.

On 6/4/2021 at 9:17 AM, Sarina said:

Tiger lotus has a kind of crazy root system, if you try to pull one up, it may take half your substrate with it, and probably other nearby plants. 

My Vallisneria took the whole tank with him when I removed him. There was so much substrate dust the filter clogged up so much it trickled water out on full-blast.