Ich Look-a-like or stubborn ich?

Ponyoryx

Hi! I will upload a picture when I can, but my fantail goldfish is a wild man and difficult to photograph. I noticed around May 20 that my fantail has 7-10 focal raised white spots on the distal tip of his tail fin. He otherwise seems 100% normal, energetic and still has a voracious appetite. I have another fantail who seems completely unaffected by these spots. I figured this was ich and started treatment as soon as it arrived in the mail (last night was treatment #9). I also increased their tank temp to 80 degrees and have been dosing salt after each water change to cover for secondary infections. I also have a sponge filter, so there is some aeration in the tank. I'm following the instructions on the Ich-X bottle (30% water change, 10mL for my 20gal tank, repeat every 24 hours). I know the medication isn't effective until the buggers pop off his scales, but I'm wondering if this is something else since I feel like we are long past the life cycle of ich and the lesions on his tail have not changed.

My questions to you:

1. How long do I treat for ich before looking into something else?

2. What other differentials are there for this problem?

Tank parameters:

• pH - 7.6-7.8 (has been on the higher side with my daily water changes, usually sits around 7.4-7.6)
  • Nitrates 20
  • Hardness 6GH
  • Nitrite 0
  • Ammonia 0
  • KH/Buffer 5
  • Water Temperature  80F (usually keep it at 74)
  • tank mates: some plants, mystery snails and ramshorn snails

• 3 weeks later...

So it's been a few weeks. No change in my fan tails behavior or appetite and no lesions on the other fan tail. The lesions have slowly been spreading to his other fin. I've treated with ich X for 10 days and the lesions never disappeared. So not ich. I also treated with seachem flourish with no changes except some dead rams horns 😞 any other thoughts?

I'm worried this could be some kind of lymph disease? It doesn't seem to be infectious.

PXL_20210626_005833242.jpg

Seachem flourish is a plant fertilizer. You use seachem focus to mix antibiotics into fish food, then feed the medicated food to the fish. I'm sorry you lost your ramshorn snails 😞

Anyway, those are pretty large white spots and it doesn't look like ich at all to me. I have no idea what it could be, if he's not acting sick! I hope someone else with more experience could offer some input.

Yes yes sorry,  used seachem focus and mixed a bit with the fish food. Too many products 😂

I'm sad about my rams horns, I've had those guys since I started my tank 6months ago. Not sure if it's totally relates to the seachem focus but the timing was perfect.

On 6/26/2021 at 11:54 AM, Ponyoryx said:

Yes yes sorry,  used seachem focus and mixed a bit with the fish food. Too many products 😂

I'm sad about my rams horns, I've had those guys since I started my tank 6months ago. Not sure if it's totally relates to the seachem focus but the timing was perfect.

Did you treat with seachem kanaplex as focus is a binding agent you need mix with kanaplex when treating your fish with meds in food that the recommended treatment for epistylis

Edited by Colu

On 6/26/2021 at 7:21 AM, Colu said:

Did you treat with seachem kanaplex as focus is a binding agent you need mix with kanaplex when treating your fish with meds in food that the recommended treatment for epistylis

Yes, kanaplex. As someone had suggested that earlier in the threat to treat epistylis. Not sure if I've ruled out that diagnosis yet. 

On 6/26/2021 at 2:56 PM, Ponyoryx said:

Yes, kanaplex. As someone had suggested that earlier in the threat to treat epistylis. Not sure if I've ruled out that diagnosis yet. 

What I would do is another Course of kanaplex  as epistylis  can take two courses of treatment for it  clear up