Fish that don't care for plants

Gideyon

I'm getting swayed away from trying plants again.   But I'm wondering if it's possible. 

Are there fish that could thrive in a community 20g long without live or even fake plants?  Just sand, rocks and driftwood.

Apisto and rams I thought, but I saw that multiple in a tank requires plants. Perhaps for hiding. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gideyon said:

I'm getting swayed away from trying plants again.   But I'm wondering if it's possible. 

Are there fish that could thrive in a community 20g long without live or even fake plants?  Just sand, rocks and driftwood.

Apisto and rams I thought, but I saw that multiple in a tank requires plants. Perhaps for hiding. 

We're plant aquarists, so this is a bit out of our wheelhouse. But there are several fish tanks we've designed that are minimalistic with plants in the box, so to speak. One is our African Cichlid mbuna tank. Another is our Corydoras Aeneus Breeding tank (although it eventually has had some plants added to it). In both cases, the plan was to allow Pothos roots to do  some plant-filtration of the water. 

Here's a couple videos showing the gist.