Startup

Rudles

Day two. I fired up my 29, a dirted tank toward the middle of the first day I tossed in a shrimp to try to raise the Ammonia. I started it with about seven gallons of water from my 20. I am also using the canister filter that I had running on my 20 so it should have plenty of beneficial bacteria already in it. Here are my numbers:

05-19 0900
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0.15 ppm
Nitrate 80 ppm
pH 6.6
05-20 0930
Ammonia .10 ppm
Nitrite 2.0 ppm
Nitrate 80 ppm
pH 6.4

Not much Ammonia yet and my pH actually dropped a little. Any suggestions? Should I add another shrimp? Maybe two?

35 minutes ago, Rudles said:

Day two. I fired up my 29, a dirted tank toward the middle of the first day I tossed in a shrimp to try to raise the Ammonia. I started it with about seven gallons of water from my 20. I am also using the canister filter that I had running on my 20 so it should have plenty of beneficial bacteria already in it. Here are my numbers:

05-19 0900
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0.15 ppm
Nitrate 80 ppm
pH 6.6
05-20 0930
Ammonia .10 ppm
Nitrite 2.0 ppm
Nitrate 80 ppm
pH 6.4

Not much Ammonia yet and my pH actually dropped a little. Any suggestions? Should I add another shrimp? Maybe two?

Seems to be processing a cycle. Ammonia + and Nitrite + ... maybe the bacteria colony isn’t strong yet? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Seems to be processing a cycle. Ammonia + and Nitrite + ... maybe the bacteria colony isn’t strong yet? 

Yeah, I agree. I’d wait and test over the next couple of days. Theoretically the Ammonia and Nitrite will drop to zero quickly as the bacteria multiply. 

• Thanks 1

Update. I added one more shrimp, will be ghost feeding flake food and I added my two sponge filters. After the 29 is cycled I'll be moving the canister back to the 20 and replacing it with my Tidal 55 which is currently running on my 20 to get it seeded.

And, of course I'll be testing my parameters daily. I would imagine that I probably shouldn't do any water changes for at least a few days. Is this correct?

20210520_111844.jpg

Edited by Rudles