What kinds of naturally collected North American hardwoods can be used as driftwood safely?

Bill Calvert

I'm looking to create a native species only north american biotope tank with naturalistic hardscape materials. What types of hardwoods can I use safely to create this effect, and how can I prepare them to be used in the tank?

Edited by Bill Calvert

Just now, Patrick_G said:

Manzanita comes to mind immediately because of it’s wide commercial availability. 
My tank is stocked with gathered driftwood from Puget Sound. It’s aged and sun bleached. 

I live in central Pennsylvania. I guess that would be important info for what woods are available haha! I have access to lots of maple, birch, oak, hickory, and sycamore, but other than sycamore, I'm not sure what would be safe in the tank.

I'm pretty sure you'd be okay with oak and hickory, assuming you get pieces that are well seasoned (completely dry with no bark), though I haven't tried them.  I've had bois d'arc in my 65 for over a year and haven't had any issues.  I don't suppose you have access to any of that?

Manzanita is a no go in California. They are protected. It is illegal to cut, injure or move that species of plant in the state. Just a heads up if anyone goes out gathering in California. 

Edited by ccurtis