New Fish died :(

Romans116

So 3 days ago I got some new fish for my 10 gallon. About 2 months ago I put the first set of fish in my first community tank which was 1 honey gourami and 9 ember tetras (they gave me more than I wanted). It turned out they gave me some ruby tetras too and the entire batch was unhealthy so a lot died and I was left with my gourami, 1 ember, and 2 rubies. So back to now... I went to the same fish store and got 4 ember tetras and 2 ottos to help with my algae problem. I asked on this forum if that would work and I was told it should be fine. I know ottos can be finicky so when one died I was disappointed but not heart broken. But over the last 2 days my 2 rubies from before died and one of the new embers died too. They’ve all been eating well but to my knowledge just suddenly died.  I did not quarantine the fish which could have been my problem but I didn’t have another tank and truthfully didn’t even think of it till after I had the fish in the tank. Parameters were all good and did a water change right before putting fish in. What could have happened? 

What are your water parameters?

It could be your water parameters, or the source your getting them from. If they keep on dying when you buy from them, stop buying from them. Find another LFS or shop at a petstore, you may have better luck.

• Like 1

Ammonia and nitrates were 0 nitrites were 0-5 (hard to tell). 
Ok, there is one other fish store near me but some of their tanks are kind of gross. A lot of the fish don’t look to healthy either. The store I’ve been going to from reviews I’ve read has quite healthy stock normally. The first time I got fish they said the whole shipment was unhealthy but the ones I got recently looked pretty healthy at the store. My friend also bought from there and theirs have been perfectly fine. 

I wouldn't stock anymore until you have a quarantine tank setup. get another 10 gallon used somewhere cheap and get it cycled. when its ready, get your new fish, put in the quarantine tank ,medicate them and observe for a couple weeks. If all look healthy go ahead and add to your main tank.  Nomatter where you get your fish from they could have potential sickness some won't show up for couple months. best to medicate and give your fish a better chance. check out corys video on this topic. i do this to all my fish no problems since. Hope it helps good luck.

I know you said your parameters were all good, but that doesn't look to be the case, if you are showing nitrites. Anything more than 0 can be harmful to fish. Also, you are not showing any nitrAtes, which would indicate that your tank never competed its cycle.

If you have any fish left, they are probably very stressed. I would water change at a 50 percent level to get that Nitrite level down, and then detox whats left with Prime. You will have to balance waterchanges carefully to help complete your cycle.

• Like 1