Hi from Netherlands! Puffer enthusiast with first fry (schoutedeni)

Hi guys! 

I came on this forum via a video from Preston John and already had seen several of Cory's video's on YouTube on divers topics and after taking a look around decided to join. My name is Marlies and I'm from the Netherlands. 

I got a group of six Tetraodon schoutedeni's (Spotted Congo Puffers) not so long ago with the hopes of maybe breeding them some time down the road. Boy was I in for a wilde ride! They started spawning not long after I got them and after the second round, I had a good amount of fry hatching in the parents tank. Luckily, being the nerd that I am, I already had some infusoria cultures running, mostly because I wanted to practise for the "real deal" later on. And also had already read everything Preston John has shared over time about his succes with this species (of which I'm very very grateful!).

Well, I got to learn quick! Those fry currently are 5 weeks old! I got about 6 of them left (they are hard to count at the moment, they are hiding like it's nobody's business). And they are absolutely awesome! From starting as swimming specks (Oh my are they SMALL!!), they have now become really small actual puffers! 

Sizing up his future food

baby-with-snail.png.575b680b719e370787da9a3a95a21f6a.png

Sizing up a (still a bit to big) daphnia

763619760_WhatsAppImage2021-05-16at19_32_58.jpeg.37400814201e2b406270bf10c8fb49f5.jpeg

Still got a ton to learn! I really hope I can hatch and raise some more. But they sure are not easy! 

Cheers!
Marlies

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Welcome Marlies! Congratulations on your Puffer success. I am curious to learn if there are some good options available to you for selling your fry? We are in Maryland, USA. Several of our local aquarium stores buy fish that we breed and raise. We also are part of an aquarium society that meets monthly (when possible... COVID has kept us largely apart for over a year). At our meetings, there is an auction of fish and plants. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Welcome Marlies! Congratulations on your Puffer success. I am curious to learn if there are some good options available to you for selling your fry? We are in Maryland, USA. Several of our local aquarium stores buy fish that we breed and raise. We also are part of an aquarium society that meets monthly (when possible... COVID has kept us largely apart for over a year). At our meetings, there is an auction of fish and plants. 

Thank you! 

Unfortunately in The Netherlands (at least in my region) we don't really have an active aquarium society. I would have loved that! In regards of selling the fry, in the beginning it will just be smaller numbers. I really don't see any issues in selling those directly to people (already have several on a waiting list). This species is still relatively rare and there are just a few people whom have had succes in breeding them. If I do manage to get better at this and repeat it (with hopefully larger numbers), I want to start and work with resellers and/or an export company to ship them overseas where there is more demand.

3 hours ago, Colu said:

Welcome to the forum beautiful baby  puffers

Thank you!

• Like 1