Fish for a not really 10 gallon, 5 gallon tank.

So, I recently procured a nice 10 gallon tank from a client for just 5 bucks. I would like to fill it halfway with water and have fish in the bottom and driftwood sticking out of the water with terrestrial plants growing on the driftwood. I'm fairly well versed in the plants but, I don't know what to put in 5 gallons of water. I would prefer something that schools or shoals. Any ideas?

Edited by Johnny B. Goode

Maybe a small group of chili rasboras or ember tetras. You could also do some colorful neocaradina shrimp. You are more limited what you can do schooling/shoaling-wise in 5 gallons. If you wanted a bottom dweller pygmy cories are pretty hardy and cheap. Not the most unique ideas but just some fish that stay nano sized.

• Like 2

They're pretty nocturnal, but if you're in an oddball mood, I love Asian stone catfish, aka moth catfish, aka hara jerdoni. I have some in a 5.5gal with caridina babaulti shrimp and they're super cute and weird-looking. They don't need a heater. I would put 3-5 in your setup. Maybe do 3 of those and 6-8 celestial pearl danios or micro rasboras. Options are kinda limited in 5gal but you can have some fun.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bru said:

Maybe a small group of chili rasboras or ember tetras. You could also do some colorful neocaradina shrimp. You are more limited what you can do schooling/shoaling-wise in 5 gallons. If you wanted a bottom dweller pygmy cories are pretty hardy and cheap. Not the most unique ideas but just some fish that stay nano sized.

2 hours ago, Mahi27 said:

They're pretty nocturnal, but if you're in an oddball mood, I love Asian stone catfish, aka moth catfish, aka hara jerdoni. I have some in a 5.5gal with caridina babaulti shrimp and they're super cute and weird-looking. They don't need a heater. I would put 3-5 in your setup. Maybe do 3 of those and 6-8 celestial pearl danios or micro rasboras. Options are kinda limited in 5gal but you can have some fun.

2 hours ago, Joe L. said:

I personally would go with a betta. In my opinion, five gallons to enough to house a single betta. If possible, I would buy a bunch of tannins for that tank and make it a non-true black water biotope. I would recommend using the Nano Aquarium Co-Op Sponge Filter for your tank regardless of what fish you choose. It would probably be more than enough to handle the bioload of a reasonable stocking.

Thanks for the ideas!! I like the chili rasboras and the betta but I already have tanks with both of those fish. I really like the catfish idea because I absolutely love catfish. As for the sponge filter that is a guaranteed lock. I have CoOp sponge filters in everyone of my tanks big and small.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The co-op sponge filters really are such a gem. 

Definitely consider the catfish option then! I think either the Asian stone or the dwarf corydoras would make a nice option. You could also consider a semi-terrestrial crab for something really off the wall?! I've been researching vampire crabs since my niece wants one and they are pretty stinkin' cool. You might have to build out the emersed areas a bit more if that were something you wanted to try. 

• Like 1