Deep substrate

Rudles

16 hours ago, Jungle Fan said:

There are several different approaches  to that subject, you might need to clarify which one you are contemplating, and what depth you are referring to, as well as which substrate medium,

Referring to the setup explained by Father Fish. He has tanks that have been running for over ten years 😳. For my 29 gallon, if I go that route I'll do two inches of soil, with some amendments and cap it with three inches of sand.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with FatherFish, or his method but I've been keeping fish and plants for 53 years now and for a planted tank I generally don't advise sand, especially in thick layers because it tends to compact and not many plants grow well in it. The substrate in my 75 gallon tank is anywhere from 3.5 to 4 inches thick, with a thin bottom layer of deep sea minerals(1/16" ), followed by crushed lava rock, some Fluval Stratum, a thin layer of coarse gravel and topped by a generous portion of Amazon soft belly soil substrate and it is doing well for fish and plants. If you're interested you can see more info about it here:

• Thanks 1