rainbowsfish ate a pygmy cory

kelley38

Yikes!

Sorry about your Cory but your rainbow is in real danger also now.

I am going to summon my outdoors hat instead of my fish keeping hat. I have encountered this in the Lakes of Minnesota with fish swallowing things they shouldn't.

My suggestion:

have net, needle nose pliers (planting tweezer would also work) and meds ready.

Net out the Rainbow and hold him in your hand.  make a circle with your index and thumb for his head to go through, grip with your middle and ring finger against his back and the tail across your pinky. (The same way I would take a hook out of a sunfish). If to small to hold in this fashion grip with thumb and index right behind his head on either side.

Grab the tail of the cory and pull gently back and forth till it is out.

It might not come out easily or in one piece.  This isn't going to be fun for either one of you.

A couple of things to know.

Leaving it in is not an option, the barbs on catfish are designed just for this reason and are designed to get stuck in a fish that eats them which will eventually kill them.

Have meds ready to treat the rainbow.  He is going to have tears on the inside of his mouth, try to be proactive.

These are my suggestions from my experience with native species.  Not all of them are going to make it after something like this.  I wish you the best of luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DSH OUTDOORS said:

Yikes!

I am going to summon my outdoors hat instead of my fish keeping hat. I have encountered this in the Lakes of Minnesota with fish swallowing things they shouldn't.

My suggestion:

Net out the Rainbow and hold him in your hand.  make a circle with your index and thumb for his head to go through, grip with your middle and ring finger against his back and the tail across your pinky. (The same way I would take a hook out of a sunfish). If to small to hold in this fashion grip with thumb and index right behind his head on either side.

It might not come out easily or in one piece.  This isn't going to be fun for either one of you.

Leaving it in is not an option, the barbs on catfish are designed just for this reason and are designed to get stuck in a fish that eats them which will eventually kill them.

Have meds ready to treat the rainbow.  He is going to have tears on the inside of his mouth, try to be proactive.

These are my suggestions from my experience with native species.  Not all of them are going to make it after something like this.  I wish you the best of luck.

thank you so much! I think I see one of his barbs stuck out of the gills already. Idk what i was hoping for. I wish there was a way to calm him before this “procedure”. He is my biggest boy and oldest rainbow in my tank

3 hours ago, DSH OUTDOORS said:

Yikes!

My suggestion:

I got him out!!! thank you so much for the advice. I did have to clip a barb coming out of the gill. rainbow seems to be much happier

1 minute ago, kelley38 said:

I got him out!!! thank you so much for the advice. I did have to clip a barb coming out of the gill. rainbow seems to be much happier

So happy to hear it!

Keep an eye on him and monitor his eating.  He will have open sores from the experience so be cautious of a bacterial infection.

Keep us informed on how he recovers!

4 minutes ago, DSH OUTDOORS said:

So happy to hear it!

Keep an eye on him and monitor his eating.  He will have open sores from the experience so be cautious of a bacterial infection.

Keep us informed on how he recovers!

yes I sure will! thanks again