Best Aquarium Lid - Broken TV Diffuser?

Doug_E

I was looking for some good DIY panel lights. I found this YouTube video and its perfect for my light idea. However, it may also be a great DIY aquarium lid. It is made to diffuse light evenly, seems strong enough if given some reinforcement on longer spans, and is free if you can find the right TV. I got a free broken Samsung LED TV off facebook marketplace and will pick up a second tomorrow. I've also called the local TV repair guy who is happy to let me know when he has anything broken he is sending off to recycling. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doug_E said:

I was looking for some good DIY panel lights. I found this YouTube video and its perfect for my light idea. However, it may also be a great DIY aquarium lid. It is made to diffuse light evenly, seems strong enough if given some reinforcement on longer spans, and is free if you can find the right TV. I got a free broken Samsung LED TV off facebook marketplace and will pick up a second tomorrow. I've also called the local TV repair guy who is happy to let me know when he has anything broken he is sending off to recycling. 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Let us know how it works 

It’s amazing. 

soooo much easier to get in the tank now. No longer do I need to move the light and then flip the lid back (or hold it open with one hand). 

it also allows more light. Photos taken were 83 (out of 255) vs 76 for glass for the average L value. 

I used tile corner molding for the sides and handle. The handle being full length helps keep the panel from drooping too much. 

total cost, $3. 

to get the diffuser panel you need look for edge lit TVs. Full or zone lit don’t use the clear panel like this. 

78DC015F-ABBF-4EC6-97B3-BD29E63F5C78.jpeg

F3A1D02C-5947-4245-A132-2AA842DFF841.jpeg

81845419-C371-40F2-B34D-167BE9A70476.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1