Fungus types

beaka

I just broke down my Betta tank, for the 4th time in 6 mths, due to a weird gelatinous growth that literally covered everything...substrate, plants, heater, decorations...It would continue to grow day after day, after each restart, and eventually there would be a brownish film to the water. This tank was in my workspace, initially, and after two restarts, I moved it to my partner's workspace, right next door in the same building. Things seemed fine, but within a week, this stuff started appearing again, and growing. The final breakdown was this past Saturday and this stuff was like gelatinous cotton covering everything. I couldn't subject the Betta to it any longer, so I've moved him to our home, with everything new (I was not taking a chance on carrying whatever-it-was to his new tank/environment). He has done perfectly fine throughout.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? And no, I didn't take pictures, it was so disgusting, I just wanted to remove the Betta from that environment. And if you had seen it, you would think he had been suffering for weeks on end in that stuff, but it grew so fast, that within two weeks the tank was covered each time.

We decided it was environmental, i.e. air quality. I also work in a building across the way, and I put a tank in that space, and the water is pristine. I've never had an issue. 

Thoughts?

Did it look anything like this? 

The pictures didn't even do it justice...there were white gelatinous blobs encasing all my driftwood, rocks, etc.  It turned out to be run of the mill biofilm and disapeared on its own after another month or so.  

It didn't look that innocuous at all. I should have taken pictures. Maybe I will set up a tank without creatures in it, and hope the stuff shows up again, and then I will take Pics. The stuff that grew in my tank was literally thick gelatinous CLOUDS. It grew on everything. It did not dissipate or disappear, but I only gave it a month, so maybe it would have. I wasn't going to wait that long.