Betta mahachaensis tank mates

Nermer_pepper

I recently bought a pair of betta mahachaensis and I’m looking for some ideas on tank mates within a 15 gallon. Currently I’m considering trying scarlet badis, pencilfish, or a small schooling fish like ember tetras and just wanted some general advice since I’ve never kept this type of betta before.

15 hours ago, Nermer_pepper said:

I recently bought a pair of betta mahachaensis and I’m looking for some ideas on tank mates within a 15 gallon. Currently I’m considering trying scarlet badis, pencilfish, or a small schooling fish like ember tetras and just wanted some general advice since I’ve never kept this type of betta before.

Okay so I did a little research on Betta mahachaiensis and learned that they are brackish water fish, originating from mangrove swamps and estuaries in Thailand. Given that they need/prefer salt in their water, finding tank mates may be much harder. Tank mates to consider would be loaches (maybe kuhli loaches) or small cyprinids like barbs. One fish that lives in the same habitat in the wild is the exclamation point rasbora (Boraras urophthalmoides), so these would work well too. I would scrap the idea for the tetras, badis, or pencilfish, unless you plan acclimating your Betta mahachaiensis into freshwater. If they have been grown and raised in freshwater though, they would probably work out fine in a freshwater community. I hope this helps, and good luck! Keep us updated on the tank's progress!

3 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Okay so I did a little research on Betta mahachaiensis and learned that they are brackish water fish, originating from mangrove swamps and estuaries in Thailand. Given that they need/prefer salt in their water, finding tank mates may be much harder. Tank mates to consider would be loaches (maybe kuhli loaches) or small cyprinids like barbs. One fish that lives in the same habitat in the wild is the exclamation point rasbora (Boraras urophthalmoides), so these would work well too. I would scrap the idea for the tetras, badis, or pencilfish, unless you plan acclimating your Betta mahachaiensis into freshwater. If they have been grown and raised in freshwater though, they would probably work out fine in a freshwater community. I hope this helps, and good luck! Keep us updated on the tank's progress!

Thanks for the reply! Mine are already acclimated to fresh water as I’ve had them in a quarantine tank for a month now with no issues and they were sold in freshwater to me. I’m mostly curious about personality in comparison to splendens. If they are aggressive i will probably shy away from smaller cyprinids and get a bottom dweller that will stay out of their way. If they aren’t well then I really wanna try keeping them with the badis or maybe pygmy gouramis. Of course if there are any issues I’ll separate them but since these guys are already picky eaters I could keep them with other normally picky fish and ease feeding for myself and have cool unique fish together.

• Like 1