60 Gallon Community

Steve Helm

A good thing to think about here might be population management. Platys, zebra danios, and guppies can all be prolific breeders. If you have plants or other good hiding places, there's a good chance you'll start seeing babies soon even if you don't intend to, and they can quickly overrun a 20 gallon (I've had zebra danios alone overpopulate a 29 gallon, ended up donating well over 100 offspring to my LFS). Do you have a plan for what you want to do with the babies? The answer may restrict what else you can include in the 60 when you upgrade.

Sounds like it could work then. Personally I'd wait for the 60 before adding the guppies, but that'd mostly be to keep the maintenance requirements down. If you're willing to keep up with the extra maintenance and your LFS is willing to take the babies, I'd say go for it! We all know how hard it can be to wait when you want a new fish. Definitely guilty of multiple-tank syndrome here. Speaking of which, I'd recommend keeping the 20 g when you upgrade. It could be a good breeding tank, or could house that next 'gotta have it' fish.