Apistogramma Requirements

James V.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:34 AM, Leo2o915 said:

So you think adding shrimp should be fine if it’s heavily planted ? Would like to add some rocks for the shrimp If I do so they can hide 

You could try to do shrimp, but it will have to be very heavily planted and even then I do not know if it would work. I would suggest getting a shrimp colony started and letting the plants grow in for at least 2-3 months before adding appistos that way if they eat a few shrimplets its not a big deal because you'll have plenty of shrimp to keep the population going. Like I said thought I still do not know if the appistogrammas would eat them. I would imagine it would both depend on the species, and depend on the temperament on the appistos, like bettas. Also if you do this make sure to keep the appistos very well feed.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:32 AM, Leo2o915 said:

Hmm setting up my new fluval flex 15 and want to do apistos debating if it’s worth doing sand or if I can do so fluval stratum for the plants? 

Post above is my advice on that I accidently quoted that one as I thought that was the one where I was quoted and didn't see the mistake until after I replied.

My advice if you do the stratum is make sure to heavily plant, otherwise you'll have to many nutrients and the algae may go haywire. I had it happen to me with the fluval stratum. I think for plants it is better depending on the plant because the sand may become impacted. I mainly choose my substrate based on what I think will look best in the tank as you can get plants to grow almost anywhere with the right amount of effort lol.