trouble with new tank

Rebekaacres

Good morning, 

I have had a  10 gallon tank running with 6 fish( 3 endler guppies and 3 regular guppies) for a month and a half now. I have had the tank spike then level out then spike again. I have been doing water changes at least once a week and more depending on the testing results. when will the tank finally settle? should i keep doing water changes as many as 10 percent daily? some people have recommended to stop the water changes to even out. Right now ammonia is 4ppm nitrite is 20ppm nitrate is 20 ppm. 

On 6/8/2022 at 4:01 AM, Rebekaacres said:

when will the tank finally settle? should i keep doing water changes as many as 10 percent daily? some people have recommended to stop the water changes to even out. Right now ammonia is 4ppm nitrite is 20ppm nitrate is 20 ppm. 

I would do 30-50% WC daily until you see no ammonia. There is a few things going on so let's try to narrow down what could be the cause.

A. What is your filtration? How is it setup?

B. What is the test results for your water from the tap? What is the test results for your water from the tap after it's been aerated for 24 hours with an air stone?

C. What is your feeding regiment?

For nitrates, here is a guide the Co-op has put together.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/pages/water-changes

• Like 1

My filtration is a hang on back filter with a cartridge which is the original to the tank. I have an airstone in the tank as well. My water comes out with 0s across the board but is town water so do treat with prime. I am currently feeding once a day eaither flakes or guppy pellets. Only feeding enought hat they eat in a minute. 

On 6/8/2022 at 4:38 AM, Rebekaacres said:

My filtration is a hang on back filter with a cartridge which is the original to the tank. I have an airstone in the tank as well. My water comes out with 0s across the board but is town water so do treat with prime. I am currently feeding once a day eaither flakes or guppy pellets. Only feeding enought hat they eat in a minute. 

Are you replacing the cartridges? I would recommend switching to reusable filter media. If you are changing out the cartridge, then you are basically doing a mini restart on the cycle that causes these fluctuations. 

If you aren't replacing the filter cartridge, what is your water change and cleaning routine? If you clean out the filter with new water, you can also disrupt the cycle of the tank by disturbing the bacteria population. 

You said your tank has been running for 1.5 months, was this after you cycled the tank? It seems like your tank is currently going through cycling based on your notes. 

The current levels of NH4 or NO2 are at toxic levels depending on your pH. I rarely would recommend a 100% water change, but NO2 at that level is extremely toxic. I would also consider aquarium salt or methylene blue dip for your fish and really get that airstone bubbling. 

Also I would reconsider an alternative test method. Can take water to your petco/petsmart for testing. In case your current testing method is giving false results! Old test kits can give false results! 

From the details you are giving, it doesn't sound like you're doing anything obviously wrong. There has to something weird going on. Can you take a picture of your tank? Is it possible you have decor that is leeching toxins?? I know this can happen, but I have no idea if that could be the cause of an ammonia spike but it's worth an ask. 

If you can, please provide what filter you have specifically so I can look into how to upgrade it and better support bacteria long term.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 11:21 AM, Hannah Parker said:

From the details you are giving, it doesn't sound like you're doing anything obviously wrong. There has to something weird going on. Can you take a picture of your tank? Is it possible you have decor that is leeching toxins?? I know this can happen, but I have no idea if that could be the cause of an ammonia spike but it's worth an ask. 

Good point.  What substrate is being used?

My water comes out with 0s across the board but is town water so do treat with prime. I am currently feeding once a day eaither flakes or guppy pellets. Only feeding enough that they eat in a minute. 

Sounds good. I don't think there's any issue performing those daily WCs to get the ammonia down while we figure how to stabilize the cycle.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

best wishes you have had some good advice.  above  

if it was me i would continue  with the water changes till you can get the ammonia and nitrite down ..

when i started my first tank i had the same tetra filter it lasted me for 2 years in my 10 gallon    .. i stopped using the cartridge filter  they sold for them though

I use   the cut to fit sponge  black filter like the one of in the  video that Cory  shows in video (above) and then got the little bags  of aquaclear 20 BioMax  or the Fluval  Spec Biomax small size  (rocks ) put on top of sponge or behind the sponge

those last longer than the cartridges and in the long run cheaper .. do not throw away the sponge keep rinsing  the sponge only change  if  they tear up   usually mine last 5-6 months to 1 year before it tears up   and do not replace rock unless it breaks up either i used the original cartridge for a template to cut for the sponge size     .. 

On 6/8/2022 at 3:01 PM, Rebekaacres said:

I have gravel as substrate as you can see from the photo fish are very active. As for the filter it has a tetra internal filter. 

Perfect. Someone last week with the same sort of issue had the same type of question. Let me go ahead and grab a link to that post so you can see all the methods to setup your filter.