What does it mean when rotala does this?

It's natural for rotala to have lots of aerial roots, nothing to worry about. The best way I understand it is that when it gets taller it will produce roots along its stem as a closer source to pull nutrients for the top of the plant.

I also think it might be an adaptation for the plant since its commonly found in riverbanks or rice paddies. I assume the aerial roots are somewhat of an anchor as it usually is found in large clusters. Also since the stems are rather fragile and if it ever gets uprooted or breaks, it seems like the aerial roots offer more surface area for the plant to get caught between rocks or entangled with other plants as it floats around in the water. But I really don't know its just what makes the most sense to me.

3 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

I think it’s just drawing nutrition from the water column. Check to see if it is really planted in the substrate. 

Great insight!  I have it in pool filter sand so I usually put root tabs in root feeders, but haven’t for this because I thought it was more of a stem plant.  I will give it root tabs and see if it supports the plant better.

3 hours ago, Koi said:

It's natural for rotala to have lots of aerial roots, nothing to worry about. The best way I understand it is that when it gets taller it will produce roots along its stem as a closer source to pull nutrients for the top of the plant.

I also think it might be an adaptation for the plant since its commonly found in riverbanks or rice paddies. I assume the aerial roots are somewhat of an anchor as it usually is found in large clusters. Also since the stems are rather fragile and if it ever gets uprooted or breaks, it seems like the aerial roots offer more surface area for the plant to get caught between rocks or entangled with other plants as it floats around in the water. But I really don't know its just what makes the most sense to me.

Thank you for explaining that to me, I didn’t know anything about this plant.  The guy at my LFS gave it to me with no info. I will have to figure out how to use it best in my tank.

Usually most people will start it from the background and as it grows tall, they trim the tops and plant right in front of it. That way the nice looking top of the the rotala hides the stems with all the the roots behind it. Eventually the stems that are in the back will grow 2 more shoots and over time you get this bushy effect. Not sure if that makes sense.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Koi said:

Usually most people will start it from the background and as it grows tall, they trim the tops and plant right in front of it. That way the nice looking top of the the rotala hides the stems with all the the roots behind it. Eventually the stems that are in the back will grow 2 more shoots and over time you get this bushy effect. Not sure if that makes sense.

Makes good sense to me, thanks!