Never clog air stones that clog

tekjunkie28

I have had this happen several times, maybe 3 or 4. The felt gets clogged..  I replaced these today and even though they don't need it they are going to soon. IDK how it clogs but it looks like some sort of film/slime is coming in where the air doesn't pass through but eventually it stops it.   I have heard fo this from 1 other person.  I do like the air stones though. 

felt.jpg

How old is your air pump? To me it looks like maybe there is an oil or maybe the diaphragm is decomposing and that is releasing small amounts of oil or rubber into the pumped air. Which then gets caught in the floss.

Do your run your airstone 24/7 or does it run on a timer? If a timer it could be that it's some sort of algae.  

My both air pumps are tetra pumps and both over a year old. Don't quote me on that but I'm guessing on that, I would say less then 2 for sure.  I have thought that it might be an oil but notice the film looks like its creeping in from the water, not from the air.  I run them 24/7 unless I turn them off and that really never happens.