Best alpine tree species pines, aspens, etc for in aquarium use?

Anyone have any experience using trees for structure in tank? I have some dead aspens 10-12" diameter in the yard and was considering taking a 2-4' section for a pleco habitat with holes cored out along its length. Other choices are pine but those are pretty green and I assume less safe with the resins. Wooded 1.5 acre lot we have alot of options. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Vr

Matt

4 hours ago, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Anyone have any experience using trees for structure in tank? I have some dead aspens 10-12" diameter in the yard and was considering taking a 2-4' section for a pleco habitat with holes cored out along its length. Other choices are pine but those are pretty green and I assume less safe with the resins. Wooded 1.5 acre lot we have alot of options. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Vr

Matt

I feel safest with wood that has been weathered to the point that the sap has been leached out of the wood.  In the beginning of my experience with planted tanks and natural botanicals and wood in tanks, I had access to some very nice cedar driftwood that we literally pulled out of a clean wild trout stream.  
It is controversial to use cedar, but when I found out that Tom Barr for a number of years had a cedar root in a beautifully scaped tank with neon tetras I decided to risk it.  I have had my 55 set up for four years with no problems.  It is home to Denison barbs, Rosy Barbs and Hillstream loaches.

I think the key is that it is well weathered wood that doesn’t have sap in it anymore.  There may be a process that you can use to prepare “safer” live wood for use in the aquarium but someone with this kind of experience with would have to speak to that.  I will keep my eye on this thread because I am curious about what can be done.

• Like 2