Just looking for some input

TifNee837

Hey all 😊

I just set up my 29 gallon tank on the 9th (so 5 days ago)

This is tank #8 lol

I know all about the nitrogen cycle etc

But..here is what I DONT get ---

So my tap water pH is less than 6. I use crushed coral in my substrate and some on my hob(s) to keep my tanks pH at 7.4-7.8 (depending on the tank).

THIS tank however, I used 3/4 cup of aragonite sand (which is mixed with an inert petco brand small grained gravel and 1cm river pebbles - I was out of the crushed coral and wanted to at least try this)

It def worked lol (the 29 gallon pH is 7.8)

BUT. HERE'S THE THING - 

Aside from some driftwood, small bits of moss, 2 amazon swords and 2 apongeton plants that I took from another tank - everything else in the tank is new. And I have YET to add an ammonia source..

But the ammonia is reading 0.50-1.0, and the nitrite is reading 0.25-0.50???

Did the aragonite cause this???

(Pic of the tank 😊)20210311_121821-picsay.jpg.d92797bd5ba1defeebda4075c524712a.jpg

@Eddie Dinglethe driftwood isn't *exactly* new - it was in a different tank previously, that had an almost year long battle with columnaris - it had been pulled from that tank, moss stripped off, and then was re-boiled a few times

Has been sitting in a bucket since.

And I think I may have found at least a small (very small?) ammonia source - looking into the tank this afternoon, and there was poop. Lots of poop.

SNAIL poop! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1