Unique ropefish tank for a Classroom

GoGreen

Over the caronavirus pandemic, i have been slowly purchasing everything needed for a 75 gallon aquarium for my high school science classroom.   

My goal is to try to make the tank something unique, that the kids will want to talk about.  For that reason I think I want to make the centerpiece a ropefish (or a few and then rehome them as they outgrow the tank).  I have done hours of research on the ropefish themselves (and had them previously when I was a child... and proper stocking wasn't my families priority). I think I understand the basics but am getting stuck with tankmates.  Everything I have read says "if it fits in their mouth, it's food", which makes sense; but I can't figure out how large their mouth is to determine what could go with them.  Any suggestions on stocking? 

Currently the tank is waiting until I know we'll be in person for the foreseeable future, but the basic Tank Setup and parameters.

-Michigan hard water...ph roughly 7.5

-Lots of manzanita and large "boulders"

- Sand Substrate

- Will be planted with anubius, ferns and probably some patches of crypts with root tabs and some floating plants for cover (water spangles?)

I am not totally sold on the ropes (but would take some serious convincing to pull me away) but am definitely convinced on an oddball/unique tank.  Any and all suggestions or advice would be appreciated and taken. The more I know, the more I can share with my kids... hopefully further growing the hobby.

A larger, deep bodied tetra or rainbowfish should be big enough to keep out of a rope fish's mouth.

Congo tetras are pretty fascinating, the males get rather fancy fins and their displays are quite nice to watch. 

Rainbowfish come in an array of colors and school pretty well, and the larger fish are great both to stay out of a ropefish's mouth but also be of interest to young children. Their exuberant feeding frenzy is always a hit whenever folks come over and I feed the tank.

If you wanted other bottom dwellers, pictus cats or synodontis petricola should get big enough to remain out of a rope fish maw, and you could have a group of them. If you wanted just a single large catfish then I'd  go with a featherfin squeaker as they get sizable and they're  another rather distinct looking fish that kids may get a kick out of. They're  shy when young and small, and become much more outgoing as they get bigger.

• Thanks 1

If you want to add more oddball fish you could get an African butterfly fish or a leopard bush fish. Both aren't very demanding, though I have a bush fish that only started eating dry foods after a couple of months, and he only eats flake food. 

As for bottom dwellers, I'm always a huge pleco fan. Maybe you could some albino and/or longfin bristlenose plecos? That might spark the interest of them for some basic genetics. Clown loaches are also pretty nice and entertaining. 

• Thanks 1

I taught high school for one year (I hated it, so much respect to you!) and had an axolotl tank. The students loved it. They had a lot of questions, and they would check in on them every day when they came to class. Very low maintenance, but the school didn't have air conditioning so I had to take them home as summer got closer. So, if you're not considering options other than rooefish, go with axies. 😉

• Thanks 1

I don't know a lot about the rope fish, I had to look them up.  Based on a brief search it sounds like @Nataku is right on track.   One of my favorite things to do is find a something that might be found in their environment, or a similar species.  My brief search didn't turn up anything obvious, but I might look later when I have more time.  Sounds like a fun project.

Now, I know you've got your heart set on rope fish, but they're nocturnal.  What about Amazon puffers?  You can keep 3 or 4 of those in a 75 gallon tank and based on what I've seen they can be pretty tolerant of other tank mates as well.  I think Aquarium Co-op has a video on them.  

• Thanks 1