probably a long shot, but would is there a plant that would fit this...

Ignore the rest of the stuff. The tank is just set up for me to visualize what I want to do. The only thing that is important is the stick...

I was thinking a moss wrapped around the top and front part of the stick will look good in the red area.

I will put a plant in the green shelf area too, but I haven't decided what yet, maybe one of the Anubis

The blue area is where I have doubts. I want something that will sort of curtain down after being attached to the top of the stick, but my thought is most things will want to grow up towards the light and will be too buoyant to want to "fall down"

So is there anything that would hang down after being attached to the stick in the blue area?

683412976_20200822_221954(1).jpg.510d8ab46bb012d1367afaf3085d5479.jpg

Extreme newbie here, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Rikostan

I am also an extreme newb so take my advice with a grain of salt, but java moss with cotton string tied around or glued would probably be a good idea. I haven't heard of a plant that will cascade down like that though. Frogbit's and Water lettuce's roots reach down really low but that's a floating plant and wouldn't involve the stick. Moss grows outwards of itself and if you just trim the top and let the rest grow out, it could work. I'm pretty curious now too! I hope someone else has an answer we haven't heard yet.

Edit: Fissidens moss looks really good on sticks but grows slowly and needs a lot of light, but it's an option. It grows upwards unfortunately.

Edited by JaydenDSin
found more info
  • Thanks 1

Blue area: christmas/taiwan/willow moss or, if you feel adventurous, do the moss AND try tucking a tiny sprig or three of hydrocotyle tripartita japan into the moss....If it takes it will do the trailing thing well. Just not sure if it will manage totally unrooted...

Red area: same moss as above.

Green area: Bucephalandra!! or, anubias nana....Additionally, after MUCH patience (like, a year) anubias will send trailing roots downward that look like jungle vines if they are in a "bonsai" tree set up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the responses!

It sounds like i am going to be hard-pressed to find something that will send out tendril or curtain down in the blue area. Partly because there isn't anything that really falls down like what I want and also because it's so close to the top of the tank or needs to be able to root better.

Maybe I'll just do the moss like Brandy mentioned in the blue area and plant a stem plant below it in the substrate that grows tall enough to get the affect i am looking for.

(EDIT) Maybe i could make a long trench in the blue area of the stick and fill it with substrate and root something there... That would at least open up my options. It's hard to tell, but that stick is a good 4-5 inches in diameter.

Edited by Rikostan

Following up more on Brandy's idea, I think a willow moss might work. It doesn't get as long as i want, but I think i can get the look I want with a small net

I'll hang the net down a couple of inches from the stick and then cover the top of the stick and the net with the moss.

The stick already has a good angle to it, but I think if I cut the bottom line of the net into a pretty irregular/ragged line, I'll get the moss to grow more how I want.

I'm going to look and see which moss bets fits my parameters for that tank, but I'm sure one of them will work.

Thanks @Brandy!

Rereading @JaydenDSin's post, they said much the same thing... lol, so thanks to both of you!

Edited by Rikostan

If you try the net thing, put the moss on the bottom edge and let it try to grow UP. You may need to weight the bottom edge. Just don't accidentally net your fish, maybe a lightweight dark colored fabric might be better. I have sewn moss to things like that, works well.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...