Finnex Stingray Aquarium Light, thoughts/ experiance?

FrozenFins

So when first setting up my tank I bought a nicrew RGB 24/7 automated aquarium light. Unfortauntely I have not had the best of experiance with this light. The only thing I kind of like about it is that there is a timer so that I don't have to manually turn it off and on. But the light is either constanlty on sunrise or sunset or night mode making it the color look orange, or blue. Only from 12am-4pm will the light be on white. Because it turns on at 6am at low itensity and then 2pm being the highest intesity and then turns off at 12am being the lowest intensity. The ligh is on for 18hours a day (If i did my math right 😉 ) because of this green water is on the next level, I have already had two outbreaks. But I can't change the intesnity of the light, it is 0% customizable. so time to change the light

The Fluval 3.0 is of interest to me but is to expensive for right now.

So after the possitive reviews I have seen on corys channel I have decided to do make a buy on the Finnex Stingray Aquarium Light. I wanted to see peoples experiance with this light. Is there a timer or do I have to buy a smart plug? Is there a dimmer?

2 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

I am very frustrated with the warranty if it falls in the water the warranty is void so you can't return it if there is a different issue.

but other than that it seems nice low profile. and very bright for a 20 long.

The lid it sits on has 0 holes so I don't think I will be dropping it in the water (at least I never did with the nicrew light) but I get what your saying.

Its for a 40 breeder.

32 minutes ago, James Black said:

The lid it sits on has 0 holes so I don't think I will be dropping it in the water (at least I never did with the nicrew light) but I get what your saying.

Its for a 40 breeder.

I only own one for my 20 long so i don't know what other sized tank are like

• Like 1

I have two of them on ten gallon tanks.  I purchased a surge protector with timing function to plug them into.  One I let sit right on top of the tanks, the other I suspended about 8 inches up because there isn't any way to program the intensity.  There is a Finnex Stingray 2 that has 

• 3 Position Switch: Max, Moonlights, or OFF

• Like 1

I have had the Nicrew and the Aquaneat classic lights, a DA beamsworks light, and now a Finnex Stingray vivid light that I bought because I am keeping up with the Jones's.  All of these lights have relatively simple toggle on and off switches. One nicrew has a color mode choice on the switch, but none of them have timers. 

I run all lights with wifi timers, and totally avoid the timer question. I similarly avoid the intensity question, generally adding additional cheap lights if I want more intensity. My ideal light would keep my plants alive and let me see my fish without needing to be downshifted or turned off to avoid algae--in other words I WANT a cheap, dimmer light, and to keep it on longer.

The stingray vivid light is supposed to be a combination of the classic stingray and the colored monsterray. It literally has 2 light bars in the housing, each controlled by their own toggle switch. It was expensive. Construction feels solid, but it sits higher than I would like on the tank, I do like the low profile lights best. It is bright. It does not grow plants better or worse than the others. But my reds POP with it. This is a ridiculous luxury item in my world, but really all fish tanks are. 

• Like 2