USB nano pump

johnjohnjohn87

I was just wondering if the technology on USB air pumps (like the Aquarium Co-op ones) was the same as a traditional pump. The reason I’m asking is because I took apart an old pump of mine (from PetCo) to fix and give to my daughter and was kind of shocked at how primitive it was (this one literally rattled itself apart). 

I could swear I saw a post somewhere about USB pumps using a different kind of motor or something, but that was weeks ago and I can’t find the post. I’m also generally curious about component longevity or if there is a good article I could read about them. 

Edited by johnjohnjohn87

They're basically the same. The USB air pump is a small hobby motor that spins a 3-sided diaphragm pump. Different mainly in that the USB pump doesn't change the direction of motion, it's rotary motor to rotary diaphragm; while the normal pumps change from rotary motor to vertical diaphragm to power their pumps. Some pumps may also use a magnet to pull the diaphragm in one of the directions and a spring to push in the other. But the one-way valves and diaphragms are all the same.

Linear air pumps are a whole different beast, that's why they're so quiet. Think two syringes connected by one-way valves, going in opposite directions; while one is emptying, the other is filling. Constant air pressure and very, very quiet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tuculover said:

They're basically the same. The USB air pump is a small hobby motor that spins a 3-sided diaphragm pump. Different mainly in that the USB pump doesn't change the direction of motion, it's rotary motor to rotary diaphragm; while the normal pumps change from rotary motor to vertical diaphragm to power their pumps. Some pumps may also use a magnet to pull the diaphragm in one of the directions and a spring to push in the other. But the one-way valves and diaphragms are all the same.

Linear air pumps are a whole different beast, that's why they're so quiet. Think two syringes connected by one-way valves, going in opposite directions; while one is emptying, the other is filling. Constant air pressure and very, very quiet.

Thank you very much for an awesome response! That covers what I was wondering!