Cherry Shrimp & or, Bristlenose Pleco vs Juvenile Betta, Help

Goldshadow

Two juvenile betta fish, dead.  Each in a Imagitarium 6.8 gal. planted tank.  Established tanks, water checks out very good.  The only other living things in tanks are a few snails, a bristlenose pleco in one tank & a clown pleco in the other.  Both tanks have cherry shrimp that were there when young bettas, one about 1 1/2" the other, a Galaxy Koi about 1 inch, were introduced.  One betta arrived Jan. 14th, one on the 19th.  Different sources.  The first one died 9 days after arrival.  From day of arrival he hung out exclusively in the back corner of the tank, ate the first day but went right back to corner & hung there.  The Galaxy Koi, who arrived on the 14th, has been a super friendly little kid, all over the tank, investigating as is normal.  Last night he was his usual, happy self.  This AM I found him dead, with about half dozen cherry shrimp on him.  I'm SO sad about this & don't know what to do.  We're not exactly novice fishkeepers.  Have cherry shrimp & plecos in almost all of our tanks, other than the larger cichlid tanks.  We would appreciate any help here as we want our pet bettas.  We don't want them terrorized & then killed by 'somebody'.  We do know that shrimp & plecos will eat a fish, but we thought, AFTER the fish is dead, then they clean up.  Something or somebody killed our little guys.  But, who?

Edited by Goldshadow
Forgot to add a fact

On 2/4/2021 at 2:51 PM, Pakal said:

What are your water parameters?

All water parameters check out really good.  The only thing up a bit is nitrates & it's slightly 5.  Usually if water is off the shrimp tell me quickly.  (Well, their behavior or lack of tells me.) 

OK........... I've decided.  It's not the water & it's not the plecos or shrimp.  It's GOT to be the source.  Both Bettas from same store, 5 days apart.  Could have been from same shipment. 

Have purchased 2 more beautiful Bettas from a different source & they're going through their 'General Cure' at the moment.  I love these little 'puppies' so much.  Of all of the multitude of fish gracing me with their beauty & cuteness, Plecos & Betta kids are my favorites.  Others too, like guppies & rams & the list goes on but.............. Bettas & Plecos own my heart.  Fishwise.  LOL

Thanks for the input everyone.  Happy Finnies!

Edited by Goldshadow
Forgot to add a fact
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Goldshadow said:

All water parameters check out really good.  The only thing up a bit is nitrates & it's slightly 5.  Usually if water is off the shrimp tell me quickly.  (Well, their behavior or lack of tells me.) 

5 ppm of nitrates is pretty low, so that's certainly not a problem.

• Like 1

That's why I was so confused.  We made positive sure that the tanks were very healthy before we brought new kids home.  Confusing because the fish looked & acted fine & then, were dead.  So quick.  And, of course, plecos & shrimp did what they do.  Clean up.  Really sad but I don't think there's anything we could have done about it.  I hope.  Don't need to feel any worse then we do for those babies.