New tank of 14 African Ciclids Mbuna/14 plants/ month old feeding amount-?/4-and getting bristlenose for algae?

maryanngmeyers

Hi 🐬

My tanks is a month  new and i was feeding 2x a day --2 pellets each and then the smaller ones were not getting the food so fed 3 pellets each 2x day  which i noticed the ammonia went up to .225 so I did a  20/25 per cent water change --stopped feeding for a day and went back to 1x a day 3/4 pellets each made a difference tank normal again. Water change was after 4 weeks. I notice when i feed at once i put 2 pinches break down most pellets first time keeps larger fish busy and then put in a small pinch by the small fish -- they can get easier since larger fish are busy eating

They eat so fast 30 seconds maybe less....do i need more food at once? 

What do fish look like when they are under fed

During this time of overfeeding  had a brown algae bloom which appears to be ok now--cleaned glass and some in tank but ok..was thinking of getting a  bristlenose for algae  but heard they poop alot and did not know if that would make more tank maintence,,,,working on an eco system...i test every week  or is there another choice for algae eater in the tank

going to get nerite snails( maybe dont need the  pleco??) today and trumphet to keep small gravel nice

goal water change every other month--not sure if will work---

Thanks!

fish tank 2.jpg

fish tank 3.jpg

Edited by maryanngmeyers
added pic

You could probably feed a little more as long as the fish are eating everything that you put in there. Mbuna are quite active and will definitely appreciate a little more food than less active fish. In the wild they are constantly scavenging the rocks looking for plants and invertebrates to eat.

I used to feed mine pest snails and they loved them, so be careful with the nerites. I know they are much bigger but they could still become a snack. 

I’m not expert, but have a 6 month old African  Cichlid tank. Currently stocked with 2 peacocks, 3 blue dolphins, 3 yellow labs, and 5 Mbuna. I’ve gone thru a LOT of issues (aggression mostly) but thankfully, consistency of water quality and low maintenance has been the one really good things for me.

I feed 2, sometimes 3, times per week.  Literally, 1/32 teaspoon of Bug Bites.  I usually do 2 scoops of the 1/64 measure - a minute or so apart.

I also use frozen cichlid food cubes. I try to do each kind, once per week, but sometimes forget (hence the occasional 3rd feeding).

I did have some algae a few weeks ago, but learned to embrace it and that it will likely go away on its own soon. Just part of a new tank that happens.

My water parameters are always spot on and I do a 20% water change every week regardless of test results.

Total time spent on maintenance is under 30 minutes a week unless I rearrange decor, etc.

C2778645-D78D-4EC2-BCEF-078BFB86E3E3.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Squeegee79 said:

You could probably feed a little more as long as the fish are eating everything that you put in there. Mbuna are quite active and will definitely appreciate a little more food than less active fish. In the wild they are constantly scavenging the rocks looking for plants and invertebrates to eat.

I used to feed mine pest snails and they loved them, so be careful with the nerites. I know they are much bigger but they could still become a snack. 

thanks,,,,thought the pleco would make too much a mess in the tank