Africa and ALL her beauty

Whip's World

I want to do a non-regional non-lake specific african tank; housing several species from all over the continent. What stocking recommendations would you make? Keep in mind, I want representation from the three big lakes, as well as streams and rivers.

Edited by Whip's World

Hey there Whip's World! I think that the challenge is largely temperamental compatibility. Perhaps there would be challenges with parameter requirements. Space might also be prohibitive unless you're working with a very large tank. 

Maybe the best analogy to bring out the challenges of trying what you're imagining would be to picture putting animals from every species across the continent of Africa on a fenced-in 10 acre property. Feeding would be a challenge. Large, fast aggressive animals would get to food faster than smaller, more timid ones. And what is more . . . certain animals would _become_ food for others. You'd need water for the Crocs and Hippos. But you'd need tall grass for the Lions. But you'd need a jungle for the apes. It would be very hard. Now, you could get away with it for awhile if you were caring for a nursery of baby animals on a 10 acre piece of land. For a while, the lions hyenas and jaguars wouldn't be tearing into other animals . . . but eventually . . . 

So, we've kept a tank of standard African mbunas. Most were from stock that originated in  the eastern rift vally Lake Malawi. We've also kept a different tank of Kribensis -- West African river fish. Presently, we're keeping some killifish that source from Africa -- Fundulopanchax scheeli (Emerald Killifish) -- in a small 10 gallon aquarium. Congo tetras are lovely river fish. Just yesterday, our LFS got in a few Microctenopoma ansorgii -- little anabantids that make bubble nests. They source from Africa. Little shell dwellers are fun -- we've not bred and raised them yet -- but they're another African fish that's very popular.

But I could not really imagine putting these separate fish all together in one tank successfully.

So here's an alternative. This might cost you some investment, but if you're really focussed on Africans, maybe you could build a special stand that holds several substantial tanks. Each separate tank would feature different regions of Africa. This could scratch your itch without making a "thunderdome." 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Hey there Whip's World! I think that the challenge is largely temperamental compatibility. Perhaps there would be challenges with parameter requirements. Space might also be prohibitive unless you're working with a very large tank. 

Maybe the best analogy to bring out the challenges of trying what you're imagining would be to picture putting animals from every species across the continent of Africa on a fenced-in 10 acre property. Feeding would be a challenge. Large, fast aggressive animals would get to food faster than smaller, more timid ones. And what is more . . . certain animals would _become_ food for others. You'd need water for the Crocs and Hippos. But you'd need tall grass for the Lions. But you'd need a jungle for the apes. It would be very hard. Now, you could get away with it for awhile if you were caring for a nursery of baby animals on a 10 acre piece of land. For a while, the lions hyenas and jaguars wouldn't be tearing into other animals . . . but eventually . . . 

So, we've kept a tank of standard African mbunas. Most were from stock that originated in  the eastern rift vally Lake Malawi. We've also kept a different tank of Kribensis -- West African river fish. Presently, we're keeping some killifish that source from Africa -- Fundulopanchax scheeli (Emerald Killifish) -- in a small 10 gallon aquarium. Congo tetras are lovely river fish. Just yesterday, our LFS got in a few Microcteopoma ansorgii -- little anabantids that make bubble nests. They source from Africa. Little shell dwellers are fun -- we've not bred and raised them yet -- but they're another African fish that's very popular.

But I could not really imagine putting these separate fish all together in one tank successfully.

So here's an alternative. This might cost you some investment, but if you're really focussed on Africans, maybe you could build a special stand that holds several substantial tanks. Each separate tank would feature different regions of Africa. This could scratch your itch without making a "thunderdome." 

Wow, I really like the way you put your analogy! A very accurate representation of how difficult it would be to set up an aquarium like this. The only thing I would change is that jaguars live in South America, not Africa...

Anyway, sorry I am both animal nerd and (fish) nerm and I mean no offense. I would agree with @Fish Folk about the tank setups. Other fish to try out would be Kribensis cichlids (Pelvicachromis spec.), Upside-down catfish and relatives (Synodontis spec.), and African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi).

Hope this helps.

• Like 2