Anyone use egg crate?

Shmaty

So I am looking to design a very steep slope in a tank. I'm looking to keep the slope from eroding with time. Anyone have any experience with this? Was thinking of trying layers of egg crate stacked on each other. I've never used egg crate before, would this work? Any other ideas? Other things i've seen are mason bricks and cloth bags of substrate.

1 hour ago, Shmaty said:

Hmm I had planned to include them in said tank. 😕

I don't know for sure it would be an issue, but it's possible they might get stuck in there. I remember many a times breaking down a tank in a fish store and finding half a dozen kuhliis under the UG filter.

I used grid on the bottom to keep the heavy river rocks from sitting right on the bottom glass. 

I followed a tip from a Co-Op member that I’m sorry I didn’t remember the name or thread. He advised to build up the corner or sides with bags of busted up lava rock from Lowe’s. I used some cheap black zipper bags from Amazon. Worked real good. Was able to make nice slope and didn’t have to spend a house payment on substrate. 

Edited by L.W. Wetarm
  • Like 1

@L.W. Wetarm - I've seen some YouTubers use that same approach - lava rock in zippered media bags or even pantyhose/tights as a platform of sorts to build up substrate in the back for terracing and whatnot. They put the substrate right over it, and the mesh of the media bags and/or hose prevents the substrate from getting mixed into the lava rock. That also keeps burrowing fish OUT.