Landmines?

Nick L

Ive had planted tanks for a year or two but I wouldnt consider myself an expert on the subject. I'm currently setting up a 75 gallon tank with lots of plants and I'm curious if anyone sees any major oversights in my stocking ive planted monte Carlo pogostemon helferi a couple kinds of anubis a couple kinds of rotallia water lettuce java moss Staurogyne Repens a madigascar lace bulb and Ludwigia Repens. Does anyone see anything that will obviously struggle in this setup (I will have a 4 foot 4 t5 high output grow light and CO2 injection)

Hi Nick,

I don't see anything that would struggle in the setup you have given, especially if you will be using an aquasoil (of any kind really), and liquid fertilization.

Your Monte Carlo will not 'struggle', but it might grow upwards towards the light if it doesn't receive high enough PAR.

The only thing I will recommend is that you put the anubias in a shaded part of the tank, for example underneath the large leaves of the Madagascar Lace Plant, or somewhat under the shade of any hardscape/water lettuce.

What fish do you plan on having in the tank, if any?

That being said your tank should look terrific, and I'd love to see some photo updates!

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any questions!

• Like 1

@Mridul SinghI plan on doing a community tank ive gotta do more research on what the fish I want need as far as temp oh and hardness but idealy I'll do neon or cardinal tetras (I'm going to try to breed them so hopefully 40 to 50 plus of them) celestial pearl danios snails amano shrimp hill stream loaches and corydoras and maybe a few other odds and ends as it comes along I posted the picutes of the tank in the into conversation of youd like to take a look. I just got in the shipment with monte carlo the lace plant and the water lettuce (the lace and lettuce are in a different tank right now) I'm trying to do a dry start so that everything can establish and grow in a bit before I flood it. I will defiantly be posting updates

• Like 1

No landmines, but don't be shocked if some plants don't do well for you. Aquarium plants can be more than a bit fickle. It's not you doing anything wrong, it's just the plants, water, lighting, etc. sometimes isn't what a plant wants and they'll just die on you. I've got four seemingly identical planted tanks,  but some plants that thrive in one, die in another.

15 hours ago, Nick L said:

Ive had planted tanks for a year or two but I wouldnt consider myself an expert on the subject. I'm currently setting up a 75 gallon tank with lots of plants and I'm curious if anyone sees any major oversights in my stocking ive planted monte Carlo pogostemon helferi a couple kinds of anubis a couple kinds of rotallia water lettuce java moss Staurogyne Repens a madigascar lace bulb and Ludwigia Repens. Does anyone see anything that will obviously struggle in this setup (I will have a 4 foot 4 t5 high output grow light and CO2 injection)

Thanks for the input.. I'm no stranger to plants not flourishing first try. But I did want to try to avoid something potentiality obvious that I managed to overlook like ohh no plant a needs super hard water and lots of flow but plant b only does well in soft low flow type of a thing. But as always I love hearing back from others.

• Like 1