hygrophila melting or bigger problem ?

Ohad

Does any one here have an experience with hygrophila?

The plant is growing a lot I had to trim it because it got out of the tank but the leaves are melting ...
There are new green leaves coming out everyday , there is plenty of nutrition in the tank (too much I am getting algae as you can see form the cloudy water ) 

what do I do with the dying leaves ? 

PXL_20210113_192220225.jpg

Im not too experienced with hygrophila but in general, if you are seeing new growth then I think its safe to assume your plant is fine. It sounds like the leaves that were melting were adapting towards more emersed growth. I would cut off all the old leaves of the plants that already have new growth coming out of it. If you are worried that you might hurt the plant just try a few of your plants and leave some in case. I would definitely cut off any leaves that already lost say 25% or more of the leaf.

If you're feeling experimental cut the the top of one of your plants that has the new growth and replant that too.

• Like 1

I grow hygrophila and have had pretty good success with it. You mentioned that there's plenty of nutrients in the tank....hygrophila are heavy root feeders and pull very little from the water column. Are you also putting in root tabs? I have noticed those help immensely. Also I've discovered they like a bit brighter light than most other plants. I've attached a picture so you can see how nice and full and compact the plants are. And I agree with the other comments here. I wouldn't cut off all the leaves, but maybe trim the ones that are the most dead. If you have new growth that is an excellent sign. I'm curious what substrate you're using....is that UNS Controsoil?

Hygrophila 1-4-2021.jpg

• Like 1

That so pretty and green.

I am using aqueon shrimp and plant substrate , I don't think the substrate it self has nutrients .

I add API root tabs and true ... I noticed an explosive growth. Sadly the API tabs also clouded my water and algae covered the walls of the tank after 3 days 😂 I followed the instructions then learned that they tell you to put way too many. 

I don't have any fish in the tank yet just watching the plants .

I cut off most of the brown leaves today and only small green leaves stayed on so the tank looks pretty empty now. Hoping it will grow large and green like in your picture.