Power Splitter for Multiple Lights

AnimalNerd98

Does anyone have experience hooking up multiple aquarium lights with a power splitter like this one?

DC 12V 5A Power Supply Adapter with 8 Splitter Power Cable for Security Camera CCTV DVR Surveillance System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0772K7X4P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_8oj8Fb2KE4BYG

I am not sure about hooking up 8 lights to the same adapter, but maybe 3-4? Does anyone have experience with hooking up multiple lights like this? I am just trying to see if I can reduce the number of plugs on my power strip, or is this generally not safe/recommended? 

To expand on S1_'s comment. You need to add the wattage of each light then add 15% for safety and that should be less than or equal to the wattage of the new power brick. 

The power brick (or wall wart) for each light should list the wattage or the voltage and amps under a section called "output" on the label (wattage is volts multiplied by the amps if it's not listed) The voltage on your new power brick should be the same as the voltage on the original power brick. You can use this formula and some basic algebra to calculate anything not listed Watts = Volts * Amps

IE

Original light power brick 1

output 12V 1.5A  18watts

Original light power brick 2

output 12V 2A 24W

Based on those two brick you can do the math and you'll find that you'll need a little more than 50W to keep a 15% safety margin.

New combined power brick

output 12V 4.25A 51W

The aquarium hobby doesn't often mix with my profession (electronics engineer) so feel free to ask any questions.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ryan F said:

To expand on S1_'s comment. You need to add the wattage of each light then add 15% for safety and that should be less than or equal to the wattage of the new power brick. 

The power brick (or wall wart) for each light should list the wattage or the voltage and amps under a section called "output" on the label (wattage is volts multiplied by the amps if it's not listed) The voltage on your new power brick should be the same as the voltage on the original power brick. You can use this formula and some basic algebra to calculate anything not listed Watts = Volts * Amps

IE

Original light power brick 1

output 12V 1.5A  18watts

Original light power brick 2

output 12V 2A 24W

Based on those two brick you can do the math and you'll find that you'll need a little more than 50W to keep a 15% safety margin.

New combined power brick

output 12V 4.25A 51W

The aquarium hobby doesn't often mix with my profession (electronics engineer) so feel free to ask any questions.

Luckily, I finished my last physics course in college so I understand the calculations. I was just unsure of how it applied to my situation, thanks for clearing it up!