Water Filtration/Circulation on new tank

KaitieG

I spent yesterday evening watching Cory's livestream about tank circulation.  I'm starting from scratch with filters/flow in a 95 gallon (48X18X25).  I know that aquascaping will make a difference--planning on mainly anubias, java fern, crypts and val with a couple medium size pieces of driftwood and hopefully one area built up with some stone--but I'm looking for ideas about where to start with water flow and filtration.  The eventual stocking will be a guppy-heavy mix of livebearers, a single angel, a small school of corys (6-8), and a reticulated hillstream loach and/or bristlenose pleco.  With the guppies and angelfish, I'm thinking I don't want super high flow, but I do want good gentle circulation, right?  How would you choose to start setting this up?

Here's what I have available so far from my extras and the stuff that came with the used tank, and I'd like to keep the filtration/flow budget under about $150 if possible.  A canister or sump wouldn't work well for where the tank is going.  If some of these are not worth using, that's fine--just thought I'd throw out what I have to start with.  I'm planning on it taking a year or more to become fully stocked, so I'm thinking I could also add as I go (spacing out a larger budget away from initial setup costs)

-2 ACO large sponge filters with airstones

-1 used airstone 8 inch bar (not sure how/if to clean this up but it came with the tank)

-2 75 gallon HOBs that came with the tank (they're pretty dirty.  I can clean them up if they're worth using and not crazy noisy--I HATE noisy filters and pumps!).  One's an Aqueon Quietflow and the other doesn't have a brand name on it but has an odd looking intake that's shaped like a basket instead of a tube--I'm leaning away from using that one).

I'm initially thinking about starting with the sponges and then maybe adding a HOB (used or new depending on advice) as stocking levels increase.  Maybe adding in a couple more airstones and/or a powerhead or two if that's something that would improve flow without blowing around the fish.

I'd love your thoughts!

Every filter has pros and cons.  My personal preferences are under gravel filters driven with powerheads. The ugfs are inexpensive with nothing else to buy later.  You really don't see or hear them. The power heads step up the efficiency of the ugf and provide surface movement. Most powerheads usually come with a siphon tube and valve to suck air into the water stream, so there is no need for a separate air pump or stone.  They can be adjusted more than 180 degrees, so in a tank the size of yours, they are not likely to blow the small fish around.  The big downside to the UGF is that you will be limited to a gravel substrate.

I also use a Aqueon hob filters.  They have a couple of  features I don't like, but they came with the tank and provide a second level of mechanical filtration.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tanked said:

Every filter has pros and cons.  My personal preferences are under gravel filters driven with powerheads. The ugfs are inexpensive with nothing else to buy later.  You really don't see or hear them. The power heads step up the efficiency of the ugf and provide surface movement. Most powerheads usually come with a siphon tube and valve to suck air into the water stream, so there is no need for a separate air pump or stone.  They can be adjusted more than 180 degrees, so in a tank the size of yours, they are not likely to blow the small fish around.  The big downside to the UGF is that you will be limited to a gravel substrate.

I was leaning towards trying out UGFs in this tank, but then we decided on sand for a substrate, so that plan changed.  I'm thinking I'll probably start with the two sponge filters while we're cycling and getting plants set up, and then in a few months as we start to add the fish I'm leaning towards getting a Seachem Tidal 110 HOB.   These ones that came with the tank are REALLY gross.  I'll play around with flow then after that I suppose.

I do sincerely appreciate your take on this 🙂 

• Like 1