An older tank question.

Rick Bunn

Over the years I have discovered that for some of us afflicted with MTA secondary disorders can arise.

One of which I have been diagnosed with recently is VED or Vintage Equipment Disorder. I just can not help myself when I find myself in a thrift store staring at some old unique aquarium equipment from my past or even farther back in time than that, it has to come home with me.

Sometimes I know exactly what I am getting, other times not so much, sometimes it is a true treasure, like the slate bottom Metaframe that has been loaded with plants and spawning Otocinclus in it for the last year or so. Other times it turns out to be just a box of old broken heaters and HOB filter parts. 

I currently have one tank I believe to be fairly old but I am at a complete loss as to what brand it may be. I have had it for several years and have had it set up on and off. Currently it is home to a Dwarf Gourami, and a small school of Harlequin Rasborras. It is a 20 gallon standard with a very unusual top rim that is extra wide, almost like a little shelf all the way around the top and even wider at each end, the other odd feature is the textured bottom, that looks just like the textured glass used in shower doors.  I never recall having seen a tank bottom like this anywhere else. 

If you have ever seen a tank like this or happen to know of any aquarium manufacturers that made tanks like this, I would love to hear about them, aas it may provide me with a direction in which to search.

Thank you all in advance,

Rick 

1 hour ago, Ryan F said:

I would say it's a repair, like L.W. suggested. It could be a custom modeled after a standard 20g.

I think there's a picture attached to the thread, I can see a thumbnail on the upper level, but I can't see it in the thread.

It could very well be a repair, I was just not certain so I thought I would throw it out there, and see if anyone else had ever encountered this.

I did not attach a picture to the thread since this tank is currently in use and you can not see the bottom anyway.  I am not one to run bare bottom tanks personally, but this does seem like it would eliminate some of the issues with keeping it bare bottomed.