To wring or not to wring?

WeehawkenFish

I've had this sponge filter running in my established 29 gallon for about 6 weeks now.  I'm just about ready to move it into a brand new 20 gallon.  When I move it over, should I wring it out first?  Or will the new tank benefit also from all the poop/etc that has built up inside the sponge?  For what it's worth, I could also move my established heater to the new tank if you guys think the sponge filter is not enough.  

20201204_161602.jpg.cae607f85598e81430bc8f288754d638.jpg

The quickest way to cycle a new tank is to use a filter and filter media that has been in a seasoned tank for quite some time.  Since you are talking about moving this sponge filter into a brand new tank I would not wring it out prior to putting it into the new tank as, like you're stated, it would lose some of the beneficial bacteria (BB).  I have heard of people who would wring out the sponge inside the new aquarium, therefore dispersing the BB in the tank you're trying to cycle which would also work.  I can't personally speak to that method but in general you should make sure all that good BB from your current sponge makes it into the new tank.  Also, I'm sure your heater has some good bacteria on it but I do not think it is necessary to move into the tank for cycling.  Good luck with the new tank and your current tank looks great!

• Like 2

I recently put an established  sponge filter without wringing it into a new 10 gallon.  I still had ammonia after 3 weeks.  So I wrung out my sponges and bio rings from my 29g hob and poured the dirty funky water into the new tank.  Ammonia disappeared in days and after week I did a 30% water change and gravel vac a little.  Water cleared up and numbers were all good.  I put two rams horn snails in the tank and they lived, so I knew all was good.  Had input more gunk in the new tank sooner, I think it would have cycled faster.