Water Tests for Planted Tanks

Bbaker

First post 🐟.

I have a planted tank and am planning to add more plants and I want to be able to test the water for deficiencies in minerals and nutrients.

What would be the most important things to test (other than what comes on a standard test strip and ammonia strip)? Any brand recommendations?

• Administrators
On 10/22/2024 at 8:02 AM, Bbaker said:

First post 🐟.

I have a planted tank and am planning to add more plants and I want to be able to test the water for deficiencies in minerals and nutrients.

What would be the most important things to test (other than what comes on a standard test strip and ammonia strip)? Any brand recommendations?

Welcome to the forum and to your first post! When it comes to testing the water for minerals and nutrients, I usually look for nitrate levels to be above 20ppm (aiming for closer to 40). I also look at the plants themselves, as they are going to be the best indicator of what your plants may be needing. Here is a useful guide that can help you identify what your plants may be lacking: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/plant-nutrient-deficiencies

As far as testing, I use our Aquarium Co-Op Multi-Test Strips (full disclosure, I work for Aquarium Co-Op). https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/aquarium-co-op-multi-test-strips

• Administrators

I honestly think, outside of measuring nitrates. Watching your plants tells you the most. Making attempts to add what they'd like goes a long way. So fertilizer and having some minerals available are key first steps.

Ive been working on my planted tank for a while and I get frustrated test strips don't tell you what's missing if you try based on the Co-op deficiencies chart and see no progress it can be super frustrating.  I started testing Phosphate but mine comes out well on that so for me my next step is going to a freshwater potassium test. Phosphates include potassium but based off the problems I am seeing in my plants and the fact that my phosphates are good I suspect that it might be a potassium-specific problem. If that's not it Im not sure what my next step will be a magnesium test possibly.