Moving fish… how to do it?

Darth Nerm

Hey! So, I’m moving across country in a couple months (like, a few states away from where I am right now), and I’m wondering, how do I move my fish?? I have a general idea (sort of), but I’m not sure if it is correct or wrong or what. 
I was thinking: 

Take all the plants and decor out, put them in a bucket with water (should I get a separate bucket for the plants? Or put them with the fish?), then drain some tank water and/or dechlorinated tap water into another bucket, then drain more water into another bucket and put at least the bio filter media in there, and then put the fish in that bucket. Oh, and put lids on all the buckets. 
Do I need an air pump for the fish? Please tell me if I’m wrong about anything!!! 

And my tanks are a 3 gallon (currently unoccupied) and a 20 high. 
Thanks in advance!

Hey @Darth Nerm, @Cory has touched on this in a recent live stream I believe, I will see if I can find it for you. In the mean time, @Blakes Aquatics has a really good video off the top of my head about this very subject, I would encourage you to check it out. If you would be so kind as to list what type of fish you will be moving that would help us give more personalized advice, thank you in advanced. 

• Like 1

Thanks @CJs Aquatics, I will check those videos out, thanks! 

The fish I will be moving are 1 bristle nose pleco, 2 corydoras, 3 thread fin rainbows, 4 kuhli loaches, 4 male guppies, 5 harlequin rasboras, an uncertain amount of variatus platies (uncertain because they multiply like crazy and I may rehome some, but I will move at least 3 or 4), and some shrimp and snails. 🐌 🦐🐟🐠

I'd suggest that those videos CJs Aquatics mentioned would help. But also, if you have an Aquarium Co-Op air pump (which can run on battery for a long while) and an air stone (or sponge filter that is cycled) in the 5 gallon buckets with the fish that might help. Then, heat is your only concern. The vehicle's heat could be enough, or a portable battery pack running a small (hygger perhaps) heater in the bucket could work. You wouldn't want the bucket full, and you'd want a cover with holes drilled into it for the airline tubing/heater cord.

I've never had to do this. This is just what makes sense to me based on podcasts and things I've heard anecdotally from others. However, it makes sense. I use a small heater to heat water up to temp in a five gallon bucket before doing water changes and it works well. But even before that the most important thing is oxygenating that water and if you have a cycled sponge filter to run it would just make the most sense to use that running off the battery backup of the ACO air pump

13 hours ago, Darth Nerm said:

Take all the plants and decor out, put them in a bucket with water (should I get a separate bucket for the plants? Or put them with the fish?), then drain some tank water and/or dechlorinated tap water into another bucket, then drain more water into another bucket and put at least the bio filter media in there, and then put the fish in that bucket. Oh, and put lids on all the buckets. 
Do I need an air pump for the fish? Please tell me if I’m wrong about anything!!! 

Totes or buckets, but there's a few ways to handle this.  Going across state lines it might actually be easier to bag things as opposed to buckets.  If you're driving, stopping for a day, then you'd have to manage things differently, but if you are simply going to be  24-48 hours you can bag them and then box it up safely. 

Plants go into the bags, keep things wet.  fish go into the bags like you would for any sort of shipping fish operation.  Get yourself some polyfilter to absorb things, for corydoras sprinkle a little carbon granules in there as well.  For shrimp, they need something to hold onto. 

If you go the bucket route... which I've done for a local move... hardscape had it's own bucket (no air), plants had their own bucket (water during transit + air added when we arrived), and then fish had their own/many buckets with lids.  Filtration media was in with the plants to stay wet, adding the air when you arrive keeps it oxygenated and surviving.  The fish were set aside upon time of arrival in totes which then had everything added to them so I could setup the tank without too much stress and do things slowly, intentionally, and safely.
20210701_153204.JPG.87462fd49a97a7a226ab69654f270d94.JPG

I moved a 20 tank fish room 7 hours. I used totes with tops, drilled them to put airline through and small sponge filters. I used moss in the totes. I kept my plants separate - for high value plants I put them in ziplocks with moisten paper towels, for guppy grass and the like I used some buckets with sealed tops and put my shrimp in those buckets. 

Im of the opinion it’s not worth it. I was so focused on the animals and getting them setup I was ignoring my wife and kids. If I did it over again I’d sell what I can and give away the rest to club members and keep 1-2 setups broken down to setup when I’m ready and the rest of the household is setup. If you’re single and those are not concerns then that’s a different matter.