Hello from Texas!!!

Darth Nerm

Hello from Texas!!!

I’ve just been lurking around for several months now, and this is my first post. I’m 14 yrs old (almost 15), and I’ve been in the hobby for a little over a year and a half now. The backstory of me getting into the hobby starts with me seeing some bala sharks at a big box store. I was like, “those are so cool! I want those!!” When I got home, I started researching what it would take to keep them (a BIG minimum of 125 gallons, is what I found), so I started researching more into fish, and…. That lead me down the rabbit trail. Now I’m here!
Other than fish, I am also into pretty much any science except for medical science, and I love love love to read. 

I have two tanks, a 20 high and a 3 gallon.
The 20 has 4 male guppies, 1 female bristlenose, 3 threadfin rainbows, 2 Venezuelan corydoras (I know, I need to get more), 5 harlequin rasboras, 4 kuhli loaches, an uncertain amount of variatus platies, and some snails and shrimp. I know it may seem overcrowded, but I haven’t had any issues water quality wise yet, so… 🤷
The 3 gallon is currently unoccupied except for some snails, as the former betta occupant passed away. 😭

Both tanks have a whole stinking lot of Egeria densa/Elodea, some Anubias, and the 20 has some mermaid’s tail and a small sword plant. The 20 also has pothos and a Syngonium coming out of the top.

Oh, and by the way… my favorite fish are Threadfin Rainbows and Corydoras!

I’m hoping by actually joining this forum to learn more than I already have, while also having other fish people like me to talk to, lol.  

I am attaching below a couple pics of my fish and tanks. 

IMG_3398.jpeg.ae574fe94f1e944a4ac90443c6aa9667.jpegIMG_3403.jpeg.8870542c3255f03567a8e1ac9a7a27cc.jpegIMG_0476.jpeg.d8d035136d1a4eec1093dcb8be95d731.jpegIMG_3404.jpeg.a02705fe5cc920466426a35cae203891.jpegIMG_2113.jpeg.e42a7dbe556036902d37927c16ab9f94.jpegIMG_1191.jpeg.44b5d3a2253df75291cbb5933c1b9102.jpeg 

Thank you to those who read through that whole thing, y’all are awesome.

Edited by Darth Nerm
Info I forgot. 😅
  • Love 2

I actually haven’t dosed fertilizer in months, I ran out and haven’t gotten more. I have my Hygger light on the second brightest setting, I believe, and it grows great from that. 
I have to take a lot out at least once every couple months, cause it chokes out my tank!!! 😂

I think it’s probably just plenty of light, and a lot of fish poop. I have a lot of fish in my tank, probably too many, lol.

It also grows fine in my 3 gallon Aqueon kit, but not as fast.

Edited by Darth Nerm
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Hey @Whitecloud09

On 10/21/2024 at 2:43 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

Hello @Darth Nerm, welcome to the forum! We have a few things in common I see! I have 2 fish tanks, (20g long, and 10g) and I am also a teen fishkeeper!! Glad you joined, I did not know anyone really who was a teen like me. Awesome fish, and plants, and again tank. 

Seya around! 🙂

-Whitecloud09

Hey @Whitecloud09, that is kinda awesome! I do not really know any other teen fish keepers, so woohoo! And thanks about my tanks!!!

See ya around! 😁