Used acrylic tank question

knee

The acrylic tank I’ll be getting was used for salt water before. Can I still use it for freshwater without any worries? What’s the best way to clean an acrylic tank? And also to make it safe for freshwater?

I’ve used acrylic before but they were from freshwater keepers. This is the first time I’m getting something that was previously used for saltwater. 

On 10/10/2024 at 1:40 PM, knee said:

Can I still use it for freshwater without any worries

disclaimer: I have never had an acrylic aquarium but I figured that it wouldn’t be too different from glass.

would think so. What concerns do you have about it?

On 10/10/2024 at 1:40 PM, knee said:

What’s the best way to clean an acrylic tank? And also to make it safe for freshwater?

Rinsing it out with a water hose would probably be good enough 

On 10/10/2024 at 1:05 PM, Mississippi fish guy said:

disclaimer: I have never had an acrylic aquarium but I figured that it wouldn’t be too different from glass.

would think so. What concerns do you have about it?

Rinsing it out with a water hose would probably be good enough 

I’ve read before that there’s a risk when using acrylic for freshwater if it’s been used for saltwater. Something about chemicals leeching into freshwater.  I didn’t really look into it more because I never had a tank that was previously used for salt. 

I honestly didn’t even think about it even if I knew the tank was used for saltwater. I just remembered today about what I read a long time ago 😂

On 10/10/2024 at 2:02 PM, TAB said:

Just water is fine unless there is coralline , than you need to use vinegar to get that off.

Is that the stuff that looks pink/red when dried?

I added some photos of the tank

IMG_2708.jpeg

IMG_2707.jpeg

Edited by knee

Novus polishing set you can get these at most plastic fab shops, amazon, or reef stores is great at removing gunk and scratches. If you don’t have an orbital polisher you can use scrub pads and melamine sponges for finer polishing.

I would use white vinegar diluted in water for some caked on salt or crystallization but otherwise need not worry about using a previously saltwater tank. I have refurbished a great many and used them in freshwater applications with no issues 

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2024 at 4:22 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Novus polishing set you can get these at most plastic fab shops, amazon, or reef stores is great at removing gunk and scratches. If you don’t have an orbital polisher you can use scrub pads and melamine sponges for finer polishing.

I would use white vinegar diluted in water for some caked on salt or crystallization but otherwise need not worry about using a previously saltwater tank. I have refurbished a great many and used them in freshwater applications with no issues 

Thank you! I'll look into the Novus polishing set once I see the tank in person. According to the seller there's barely any scratches, just a lot of salt and whatever else that built up in the tank overtime.