Future scenario thoughts..

As I’m older (70s) i ask for ideas for WHAT IF my expiration date came unexpectedly and my fish need to be rehomed within a relatively short time frame (1-2 weeks??).

Spouse/ relatives could keep things fed: topped off for days but have no deep knowledge of what all I do with other needs and I assume other things could take priority in their own lives. 

i do this aquarium passion  fairly solo ( as same with my pottery biz) - many casual supporters but I don’t expect others to adopt my attention to detail w either. 

This forum my only real outreach on like minded enthusiasts. 

im NOT on Facebook, nor wish to be. 

So, any practical ideas?? My smaller LFS is still a chain of sorts so not sure they’d help. I suppose I could give detailed instructions for humane euthanasia but I don’t think my spouse could bear doing. 

I guess as we age, we don’t feel as invincible as in earlier years!

(im in central NC area)

I’m just asking for ideas , not a direct plea for help at this stage❤️

Most areas have some sort of fish or pet rescue group. If you do... expire early/unexpectedly, you want someone to reach out to them asap. The goal isn't to find good homes for everything, or get fair value for it, it's just to get the fish out of the tanks/house as soon as possible. If plants get uprooted and thrown out in the process of netting fish, okay. 

Once the fish are out, it's a stepwise process of emptying the tanks, setting aside any furnishings/decorations/filters, discard substrate, and rinse and dry tanks. If that takes weeks or months so be it. The only harm is there might be a smell or funk. Garbage is easiest destination for all that stuff (therefore most efficient for a non-aquarist), but it can all be sold or rehomed if anyone wants to put in the time. 

If you know of any fish clubs in your area, they might be a good resource, just for contact information eg known experts who can help, or maybe they can point you or those after you to a rescue group or person. Pet stores also. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would have emergency contact information somewhere handy for any significant others / family that might end up with the task.  I would also find info for any local fish rescue, local stores that might have that info, and steps on how to go about breakdown.  Have resources listed like this forum, the BAND app that would have further local contacts, any and all local fish clubs, any local hobbyists you might know that could give advice or any kind of help, that might take tanks entire, or help in any way.  Hmmm, I think I might just put something together myself because I ain’t no spring chicken!  My hubby knows the basics about fish care but would be ill-prepared to take on the entire group of tanks at this stage.  Yet another reason I need to get my Offish in order.  🤦🏻‍♀️ 

• Thanks 1