Anyone else use co2 bells ?

NoCo tap water

I have still yet to pull the trigger on a co2 set up, mostly due to cost. But I absolutely love trying to find work-arounds.

I use a glass bell ( some weird Amazon airstone thing with the vent plugged).

On my 10gal I refill it every morning via airline/handheld regulator. (Bonus killi gettin busy)

IMG_2909.jpeg.de71b8a2d30cbc6e987d321ed938bfd7.jpeg

My rainbow 75 on the other hand suffered from bba growth from inconsistent co2 from my sugar reactor. To solve this I just feed the co2 into a bell. Seems to help a good bit with the consistent uptake, kinda like a capacitor I guess.

IMG_2907.jpeg.60d80e1318df1afe77bd8b0e896387fb.jpegIMG_2908.jpeg.fc83406fea475094211a865ad84d89cc.jpeg

man, I can’t believe I only now have found this forum.. my ppl!

Edited by NoCo tap water
  • Like 2

Yes, we've done that before. It's called "passive CO2." Cory filmed a video awhile back with an entrepreneur in San Francisco at Ocean Aquarium. The guy had passive CO2 in most all of his aquariums . . . with deep substrates . . . I don't think he really changed water.

We've tried the sugar +  yeast CO2 bottles. They blow up eventually. Makes a sticky mess. Here's my kid explaining his experiment with passive CO2 a few years ago...

On 10/8/2024 at 9:16 PM, Fish Folk said:

Yes, we've done that before. It's called "passive CO2." Cory filmed a video awhile back with an entrepreneur in San Francisco at Ocean Aquarium. The guy had passive CO2 in most all of his aquariums . . . with deep substrates . . . I don't think he really changed water.

We've tried the sugar +  yeast CO2 bottles. They blow up eventually. Makes a sticky mess. Here's my kid explaining his experiment with passive CO2 a few years ago...

That’s a Super cool shop. Yeah I’m not a fan of the reactor either but I like to tinker and it’s another thing to tinker with . I’ve gotten it dialed now but it’s like super specific and relies on the heat of the light,,, 

oh man, I just put 2 and 2. I’ve totally watched your stuff, a bunch of it too. The info you create has been the best native info I have been able to find outside of some of the written sources you have also provided.

Thank you for doing what you do and involving your family while doing it. My son is 8, “he” has a glo-fish tank in his room, he loves it , but in the same way I liked lava lamps at that age.

Keep it up and thank you!

• Like 1