Help identifying baby snails

ladywolff24

I have a freshwater aquarium that has been set up for approximately 1 year. During routine cleaning and water change I found baby snails everywhere and on everything, even in the back of my tank. I haven't added anything new to the tank except a few shrimp since I set it up so I have no idea where they came from or how they ended up in my tank. I have fish, shrimp, a Betta,2 mystery snails (my male just died) a nerite snail, Cory cats and plants. These have literally came out of nowhere and I'm at a loss. Never seen an adult of any kind in my tank the entire year. Help? Thanks so much

PXL_20241003_175134834.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL~3.jpg

PXL_20241003_044725733.PORTRAIT~5.jpg

PXL_20241003_170639171.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20241003_044725733.PORTRAIT~3.jpg

PXL_20241003_162932182.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL_20241003_163039632.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

To me, these look like Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They are not harmful to your tank and eat old uneaten food from your substrate. They most likely came in on some plants, this is very common. There really isn't a way to get rid of them once they are in your tank since females can reproduce without the help of a male. Other than being a dull color they dont pose any threat. If you dont like them the best way to keep their population at bay would be to introduce an Assassin Snail.

Edited by CoryWithAKatana
  • Thanks 1

Looks like MTS. I hate these snails so much because their shells don't disintegrate in the water or it takes a really long time. They do a good job of turning over the substrate so they do have a benefit, especially if you have a planted tank. I just hate how fast they multiply, even faster than ramshorn or pond/bladder snails.

• Thanks 1

Definitely Malaysian trumpet snails. I highly doubt new zealand mud snails would be in there unless you got water from a local creek for some reason. I kill any New Zealand mud snails I see in nature because in my state they are incredibly invasive.

How big are the snails? 

• Thanks 1