Female betta rescue

Justnotrook

Just rescued 2 female bettas from petco, both with some kind of bad disease. Currently acclimating them, and will medicate with methylene blue, aquarium salt, kanaplex, and focus. They are temporarily going into a bucket because I don’t want flow rate knocking them around and I don’t have a tank ready for them. Any advice on rescuing them?

image.jpg

Edited by Justnotrook
  • Love 1

I would add an air stone during treatment if you have some cycled media you can add to the quarantine that will help to prevent ammonia and nitrite spikes during treatment I wouldn't use kanaplex in food as very little of the medication makes it into the blood stream so it's not very effective in food I would add it directly to the the quarantine I would holed off on treating with methylene blue i  would use 1 table spoon for 3 gallons of aquarium salt that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes @Justnotrook

• Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 4:06 PM, Colu said:

Adding some Indian almond leaves would also be beneficial as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties 

Good idea. Gonna get some.

Also going to drop the dogs off at the groomer tomorrow at petsmart, most likely gonna get a nature box because it’s cheap and has some Indian almond leaves

I remember when I rescued my samurai betta from a pet store (I named him Comet). He was practically dead and the clerk was like "are you sure?". He bounced back extremely quickly and lives in a 5 gallon with a few shrimp and Pygmy Coreys. I think it's awesome you are trying to heal them back up, especially female bettas. They always seem to be left out.

I think one of the first meals I gave him was a super high protein frozen brine shrimp. He absolutely went nuts and loved it. I think a good meal can really boost morale for a fish and help them.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Sandrock14
  • Love 1

On 9/28/2024 at 7:03 PM, Sandrock14 said:

I remember when I rescued my samurai betta from a pet store (I named him Comet). He was practically dead and the clerk was like "are you sure?". He bounced back extremely quickly and lives in a 5 gallon by himself. I think it's awesome you are trying to heal them back up, especially female bettas. They always seem to be left out.

I think one of the first meals I gave him was a super high protein frozen brine shrimp. He absolutely went nuts and loved it. I think a good meal can really boost morale for a fish and help them.

Capture.PNG

Wow! That samurai betta looks stunning. 

• Love 1