Mostly native fish, riffles habitat compatibility question

@Fish Folk

Hey, how sensitive are rainbow darter to temperature fluctuations during the day? Due to the tank placement basically on a window sill, outside temperature has an impact on that tank. The window well has a well cover to help with wind, there is also some plastic sheeting over the window as another layer of protection. It’s a 90’s single pane egress window, not very sealed.

It’s fallish here, low 50s at night 80s in the day. I’m seeing the tank go up and down 5 degrees during 24h.

Ive added a fan to help out keeping it consistent. I think this will only be a spring/fall issue. 

IMG_2955.jpeg.5ad642f030d6b47bb614b123cc308b1f.jpeg

How big of an issue will temperature fluctuations of 5degree be. Am I overthinking this?

Thank you!

Edited by NoCo tap water
  • Like 1

I am guessing that it's probably OK. However, 80-F is very warm. What happens with Darters is this: they are benthic (bottom-dwelling) which makes them susceptible to infections from excess bacteria, fungus, etc. along the substrate. If they scrape a tail or get nipped, the bacteria can quickly infect them. This is a very common problem with Darters in captivity. The best Darter keepers like to use UGFs (under-gravel-filters) to pull water through the substrate, and essentially scrub the substrate that way. If I could set up all my NANF tanks all over again, I would Duse UGFs -- not because I think they're the best filtration -- but because they help lower infectious mulm buildup. This coordinates with water temperature because bacteria builds up exponentially with warmer temperatures. This is the whole reason why we refrigerate foods.

So . . . long story short . . . it's probably OK. Give them an out-of-the sun place to hide. In nature, there is variance. Just remember that Darters like it COLD and CLEAN.

On 10/11/2024 at 8:41 AM, Fish Folk said:

I am guessing that it's probably OK. However, 80-F is very warm. What happens with Darters is this: they are benthic (bottom-dwelling) which makes them susceptible to infections from excess bacteria, fungus, etc. along the substrate. If they scrape a tail or get nipped, the bacteria can quickly infect them. This is a very common problem with Darters in captivity. The best Darter keepers like to use UGFs (under-gravel-filters) to pull water through the substrate, and essentially scrub the substrate that way. If I could set up all my NANF tanks all over again, I would Duse UGFs -- not because I think they're the best filtration -- but because they help lower infectious mulm buildup. This coordinates with water temperature because bacteria builds up exponentially with warmer temperatures. This is the whole reason why we refrigerate foods.

So . . . long story short . . . it's probably OK. Give them an out-of-the sun place to hide. In nature, there is variance. Just remember that Darters like it COLD and CLEAN.

We should be good with my current set up, I have an ugf, though only a single uplift tube, and canister working. I’ll let the fan and heater do an energy battle to maintain exactly 65 at night untiI I can figure out a thermostat solution. (Reminds me of a room with a humidifier and dehumidifier going at the same time )

Well see next summer if I need an actual chiller or not.

Thanks man!

Edited by NoCo tap water
  • Like 1

Darters arrived super healthy. I last minute added another few darters just in case (and shipping cost hedge). Jonah’s aquarium sent an extra too. There are 9 in there. I think I’ll have a few too many if they all make it past 48h. We’ll see.

IMG_3045.jpeg.3235311e1edaa761f595cf6217888d66.jpeg

IMG_3043.jpeg.7d91cb745408172ea109327a459637d0.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg.dc236c19bd5951e26298b56181756c9b.jpeg

IMG_3041.jpeg.76abc7000e8cceddc5133c67bc45de08.jpeg

• Like 1