Flashing/itching Fish, Need Advice.

Julie63

Hello, I need Treatment advice.

I received 12 captive bred Odessa Barbs from a reputable online dealer. On day 2, I noticed some itching. By day 5 it became worse. Otherwise, they seem like they are okay. They are active and eating. I don’t see any white spots. I have added Aquarium Salt and raised temp to 80 degrees, just in case. I am 24 hours in on a PraziPro treatment. Symptoms are not getting better.

Did I guess the correct treatment here? Thought it might be an external parasite. Is there anything else I should be targeting? 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2024 at 6:52 PM, Julie63 said:

Hello, I need Treatment advice.

I received 12 captive bred Odessa Barbs from a reputable online dealer. On day 2, I noticed some itching. By day 5 it became worse. Otherwise, they seem like they are okay. They are active and eating. I don’t see any white spots. I have added Aquarium Salt and raised temp to 80 degrees, just in case. I am 24 hours in on a PraziPro treatment. Symptoms are not getting better.

Did I guess the correct treatment here? Thought it might be an external parasite. Is there anything else I should be targeting? 

How long has the aquarium been setup?

Thank you for you quick reply. The Aquarium has been set up for 3 months. It has been cycled. It is planted. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all at 0. PH is 7.9. There is has been a bristle nose plexiglass in the tank for 5 weeks. He is not itching.

Correction bristlenose Pleco

• Like 1

On 9/21/2024 at 7:06 PM, Julie63 said:

Thank you for you quick reply. The Aquarium has been set up for 3 months. It has been cycled. It is planted. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate are all at 0. PH is 7.9. There is has been a bristle nose plexiglass in the tank for 5 weeks. He is not itching.

Correction bristlenose Pleco

How you noticed any rapid breathing?

On 9/22/2024 at 12:21 AM, Julie63 said:

Yes actually just did one yesterday, per directions in prazipro

When you do a water change do you use a water dechlorinator like prime as the water company add extra chlorine to flush the pipes  that can cause flashing 

• Like 2

Okay, we are on our second round of PraziPro Treatment. Started first treatment 6 days ago. Did a 30% water change on day 4 and started another round. Itching is not worse, but I can't say they are ant better yet either. I believe that some of the barbs are showing signs of redness around their gills. I added a little more aquarium salt to help injuries from itching. I still don't see any other signs of diseases such as Ich or Columnaris. They are all eating. Waist product looks healthy. They are very active, infact they are sparing and chasing each other a lot. The Bristlenose Pleco who has lived in the aquarium 5 weeks longer than the recently added Odessa Barbs seems to be not sick in any way. Here's the particulars:

- Ammonia, Chlorine, Nitrite, Nitrate are all 0

- PH 7.9

-Temp is 77*F

-GH is 180, KH 120

- Salt at about 1 TBL to 3 Gallons

Should I be seeing improvement by now with the PraziPro? Should I be considering a different treatment at this point?

Thanks!