this is a guppy, not an endler-guppy, right?

HelplessNewbie

This guy hitched a ride in hornwort from our teen's 10 gallon tank, which houses mostly guppies: descendants of fancy guppies (orange tails and electric blues with navy bodies) along with black and blue dwarf panda guppies. However, the hornwort has made the rounds of our tanks, so it is possible one of the black bar endler fry got in there from our 20 gallon. Or, less likely, fry from blue star endler fathers that were in qt with black bar endler juveniles.

I think he is a guppy, based on the coloration. What do you think? He is certainly bigger than my male endlers but still shorter than my oldest male guppy. None of our otger male guppies before this had split tails and spots like this.Screenshot_20240918-170033.png.ec3cae12ce4c1f7a802697716c2aaaa4.png

Basically everything in the hobby these days we call a "guppy" is a hybrid of Guppies and Endler's by some combination. Same with Endler's unless they are a wild-type strain like N-class. The fish in question looks closer to what we call a guppy (bigger+big tail), but genetically it is most likely a mix.

Also genetics gets messy with some of these species. When you look into recessive traits and storing sperm, you can get fish born  with no color or pattern resemblance to the parents. 

Edited by GoofyGarra
  • Like 2