Rosy Barbs or Variatus Platy's for hair algae in community tanks

Mr Gumby

Hi folks

I watched @Cory's video on Rosy Barbs eating hair algae and was wondering if they'd be a good mix in my tanks but I'm also thinking Variatus Platy's might do the job?

I have a Guppy/Cory tank, a CPD tank and an Ember tetra/ Chili Rasbora tank.

None of the tanks have major hair algae issues so it's really just to control rather than remove hair algae

Thoughts?

On 9/16/2024 at 2:25 PM, PaleoShrimp said:

I’ve never owned rosy barbs, but I’ve read and seen evidence at fish stores that they nip fins. That would be a concern for me with the guppy tank. They might also be a little big to put with chili rasboras. 

thanks @PaleoShrimp, good to know

• Like 1

Is there a specific strand of Rosy Barbs that eat algae or will all “Rosy Barbs” eat algae?

I can get 6 that are called “Red Glass Rosy Barb”, they are described as being somewhat translucent.  Pic attached

I don’t want to buy them if they won’t help with the hair algae issue I’m having.

IMG_9770.jpeg

On 9/17/2024 at 2:42 PM, mynameisnobody said:

What are the other inhabitants? What’s your idea of peaceful? 

It’s a 150 gallon with the following 

- 20+ Rummy nose

- 5 Roseline sharks

- 6 Panda Gaura

- 6 Hillstream loaches

- 8 Corydorras

-1 large rainbow shark

lots of wood and live plants

IMG_9645.jpeg

• Like 1

Ok so if it were me, I’d hold off on the rosy barbs for a bit. I would manually remove the hair algae and do a water change. I would then stuff that aquarium with plants. The crinum and anubias are very slow growing so they aren’t sucking up nutrients as quickly. As for plants, I would add 5-6 dwarf sag to the front and 5-6 pogostemon stellatus octopus to the back. It’ll suck up all those excess nutrients and it’ll also fill out in no time. Your lighting schedule will also play a role. After I got those 2 first steps and I’m still being annoyed by hair algae then I’d add the rosy barbs. 

• Like 1

Thank you! I’ll run with that, more plants!! Yeh!

From what I’ve gathered it seems like the rosy’s are a good option if you don’t have too many others in the tank, so I was hesitant. 

That tank needs more plants so I like that option

• Like 1